DE Razor Replating

Jay has just done a beautiful job on two of my razors; a rather battered Rocket HD which happens to be my favourite razor and an extremely scruffy US Tech which is also my most forgiving razor.

Before:
R & T 01.jpg R & T 02.jpg R & T 03.jpg

After (please excuse poor quality photos taken with a mobile phone on an overcast day):
R & T 04.jpg R & T 05a.jpg R & T 05b.jpg

Last edited:
b4vs6s.gif

Both look wonderful, especially like that gold Tech though.

Morning guys !

Like I mentioned, I had two beautiful FatBoys being worked on over the last few weeks. They have both been progressing neck and neck, however have taken the most phenomenal amount of time (about 30 hours each) so fitting them in between the day job and a couple of other projects I have on has been a real juggling act. Once this batch of restorations is done I am having a few days rest !!!

The good news is one of the FatBoys has been finished and the other is literally going to be done within 24 hours I think!

So the first FatBoy is a VERY custom job. The razor was in good condition but with some pitting and plate loss on the silo doors and in small areas on the razor. Overall though, it was still a beautiful razor. There was also a small blade gap difference which needed a little work too.

The owner has ever so kindly allowed me to post the pictures on here, so a huge big thankyou to him for being so generous. He's not currently a member on TSR but I've suggested he join and I really hope we get to welcome him here really soon as he's a nice guy and would fit in perfectly.

The razor was dissembled and ultrasonic cleaned.

Here it is BEFORE the work :

98116581f05dd4d508911b1f8d2271a1.png

Incidentally I have designed some custom tooling to help with the disassembly and reassembly of the adjustable razors. One of these is a set of special vice jaws that I designed and 3D printed - that grip the razors perfectly at different dimensions to ensure they don't get crushed or damaged.

The custom jaws are printed in ABS:

7865714add697ca9f8cd48375a68b5d5.jpg

Here is the razor stripped down:

630ffb7edda826d3c99eaaf17e398db1.jpg

Next the razor was restored in terms of surfaces and then nickel plated.

0668b9d198500021a76ec52491f4baf7.jpg

Next the black nickel sections were plated:

0ef049ba0631a78d678ea7dd99807b9a.jpg

5722c09a257ec15755f8a92d0db3ba03.jpg

Finally the razor was two tone plated - the accents in 24k gold:

6a5130d673e3c3a31f598c5fcfeba170.jpg

3b6a4994e60024e7253b11c6bf51108d.jpg

605f901b3efd552d83768fe0820ae384.jpg

65bceb1e21074a0a035e3b8ce8437a09.jpg

e234188f3080c6c58dd911f2c9904334.jpg

Overall I think the razor is a stunning piece and I'm really glad to say that it is now back at home with its proud owner.

Next up FatBoy in bright nickel original finish !

Have a great day !

Jay :)

Jay, I'm so pleased that someone here is putting out such a high a calibre of work. My sentimental Slim Adjustable needs some attention and I'd be very comfortable leaving it in your fine hands. I'm not in any hurry at all so we'll get around to it sometime. My Fatboy needs taken apart and cleaned too but again, no rush.
It's a great service you are doing as I hate seeing anything go to waste, especially engineering such as these vintage razors. This is upcycling at it's best. Beautiful work!

I can only echo Gordy's sentiments Jay. The finished Fatboy above looks stunning!!! The amount of detail and work you put into everything you restore gives these vintage items a new lease of life which will not only benefit their current owners but their owner's sons and grandsons too.

Hi folks,

That is my fatboy jay restored!!

He has been fantastic during whole process and the final result is as much his than mine. The pictures speak for themselves.

I wanted to use the service of someone who understands the sentimental value this razor has for me and respect it's history. I felt jay was the man i could trust and boy did deliver !

His price are not that expensive when you consider the amount of work and personal investment he put in his work.

Next step, find an open comb aristocrat to get it restored by Jay ....

Romain

Sent from Mars

Hi folks,

That is my fatboy jay restored!!

He has been fantastic during whole process and the final result is as much his than mine. The pictures speak for themselves.

I wanted to use the service of someone who understands the sentimental value this razor has for me and respect it's history. I felt jay was the man i could trust and boy did deliver !

His price are not that expensive when you consider the amount of work and personal investment he put in his work.

Next step, find an open comb aristocrat to get it restored by Jay ....

Romain

Sent from Mars
Hi Romain !!!

Welcome to TSR !!! Make sure you drop by and say hello in the welcome forum !

Cheers,

Jay :)

Jay that Fatboy is amazing! Romain is a lucky man! And the custom vice grip - truly shows the thought and effort you put into your work! I have a Fatboy I'd love to send you in a month or two if you have the time!
All the best!

It would be my pleasure ..... Just let me know when you're ready.

My big priority now is the completion of a beautiful case I've been working on for quite some time - now that I've cleared all of the razors. It's been a big challenge that needed everything - from metalwork repairs, to hinge repairs, to an entire internal reconstruction !! Now everything is out of the way it's my focus before anything else is taken on !

Best wishes,

Jay

Jay,
Typical exhibition quality workmanship. I'm impressed by the vice you made, a highly professional approach.

Where's the clock you were going to make from the left over components?

Regards,
Chris

Hi Guys,
My Fatboy arrived home today and I have to tell you, the photos do not do it (or Jay) justice. It is gleaming and probably better than new. Jay kept me updated with photos during the process and this turned it into an experience for me as opposed to just getting it plated.

If you are even considering sending something off for work to be done, I can't give Jay any higher recommendation. He has taken so much trouble to get this just right, not just the plating but the mechanism as well. I was going to do a seperate post but this is probably a better place to show off my better than new razor.
Cheers,
BR
Image%20basket_zpsvmazpajn.jpeg

Image%20ready_zpsfwgwqv1e.jpeg

Image%20apart_zpsyfogotxj.jpeg

Image-apart%202_zpsqe9lde4r.jpeg

Image%202_zpsehr8pdye.jpeg

Image-5_zpshiyypztd.jpeg

Image-1_zpsmwrdf2ch.jpeg

Image-2_zpsvhul2lui.jpeg

Image-3_zpse6zzw0su.jpeg

Back