DE Handles.

Splitting off from the thread about modern DE's I thought it would be best to start a whole new topic on handles as there is such a variety of stuff on offer and opinion.

I have a couple of the older iKon handles and like the feel of them in terms of weight and length (think Gillette Fat Tech Handle size, but with the weight of the FatBoy). They fit pretty much all the modern DE heads and quite a lot of the older ones too. The downside is they feel rough - the High Polished ones feel better, but the matte ones are quite utilitarian in their feel in the hand.
5b1833cc.jpg

iKon Bulldog Handle lashed to 1940's Tech Head (older type with triangular slots)

I had a Cooncat Bull Mastiff (went in the great fire sale of last year sadly) which was a much more tactile piece than the iKon, much more pleasant to hold and slightly heavier - the downside is its plated brass, so will eventually wear. Again, Bobs handles will fit 80% of the heads out there, only very very old stuff wont fit.

Price wise - Bobs handles win hands down. This wasnt always the case, but recently Gregs stuff has gone through the stratosphere price wise, and Im not convinced that $55 for a handle when you can get other stuff out there cheaper and nicer feeling. Bobs handles are also available in different materials and lengths. I have placed on order an "improved" handle:-
Improved%252520handles%252520001.jpg

Which at $35 i dont think is bad VFM.

As with anything though its a personal choice. I have had razors which have felt very imbalanced with a heavy handle and light head, and others that have needed the extra heft a heavy handle produces.

I think he had family issues and stopped production for a while, but his website is still up and when I emailed him last week he had no qualms about taking my order.
He makes handles to order, so stuff takes a week or two to pitch up. But the service and quality are first rate.

I do mix and match my handles quite a bit - I like the Fat Tech handle's feel, but would prefer the weight of the Brass ball end tech handle. I even have a couple of home brew handles - f'r instance you know that really cheap DE razor boots sell, looks like an Egyptian 7 O'Clock? Its pretty naff on the standard bic biro type handle, but pop something with a bit of weight behind it on the handle end and it transforms the razor into something lovely to shave with, mild, yet with a blade exposure that cuts really well.

Thats the thing I like about DE razors, its possible with a bit of time and mucking about to custom build something that works really well for you, and knowing that probably no one else has one.

The most horrific one to date? Bull Mastiff XL lashed to a Mach 3 head - Whoooooooooooooah - blood transfusion for Fr Ted - Stat!.

Thank you, it's most helpful in making my decision. I have both the new and old R41s. And it's just not right they have the same handles!

Thanks for the info FT, I really like the look of the look of the Bull Mastiff handle - I'll drop Bob an email and see what he can do.

Father Ted said:
Thats the thing I like about DE razors, its possible with a bit of time and mucking about to custom build something that works really well for you, and knowing that probably no one else has one.

Yes, I enjoy that whole bespoke aspect of DE shaving anyway. In fact, I'm like that with my other hobbies/obsessions, namely mountain biking and guitar equipment. Part of the enjoyment is tinkering and customising, and matching different elements to find your own unique personal setup.

Sheeeesh, just what I needed to read,

My frankenrazor of choice has a Stahly head with a FH Tech handle. The head's the part of the combo that's such a great fit and the handle is not bad but not great either. Buddy of mine loaned me his Lined Chatsworth a while back and that Chatsworth/Stahly combo felt much better in my hand. Nice having the extra weight when using a mild head.

Thanks to the damned bunch of Limey enablers for making that particular monkey more insistant,

Martin

Francorelli said:
This is useful to know. $55 does seem steep for the Ikon handle. Is Cooncat Bob still doing new handles? I'd read that he went out of business earlier in the year...

Bob is definitely still going. I've had a Bull Mastiff with long comb New head recently, and SunburyBoy had a Bull Mastiff recently too.

By recently, I mean within the past month.

I've got handles from Bobs' Razorworks and some I've spun myself. I got a medium sized lathe to do handles and brushes as a hobby. Good fun.
[attachment=3763][attachment=3764][attachment=3765][attachment=3766][attachment=3767]

Attachments

• IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    436.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    351.9 KB · Views: 18
  • P1000817.JPG
    P1000817.JPG
    437.1 KB · Views: 23
  • P1000826.JPG
    P1000826.JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 19
  • P1000804.JPG
    P1000804.JPG
    412.5 KB · Views: 23
I really like those handles! Great materials and appreciate the thought that must go into them; the 'red' wood handle in particular looks well thought out ergonomically as well as good looking. The material on the last one is very nice too. I'd be interested to see more handles if you have any more photos?

Back
Top Bottom