Czech and Speake Oxford and Cambridge

Hi Guys,

My first review for a while.

I was on Jermyn St recently and popped into the usual Trumpers and Taylors. I was actually looking at brushes (again) and this visit reminded me just how much variation there is in their branded Simpsons and Rooney brushes. All were way too lofty and pretty floppy (even the ones with the Heritage handles). I'm beginning to wonder if they aren't only simply re-badged, but made to different specs to the regular non-badged brushes. Anyhooow...

On my way home I happened to pop into the Czech and Speake shop (which is mainly obscenely priced bathroom stuff, but also fragrance). They only seem to make the shaving soaps in No. 88 and O&C.

I've tried their No. 88 cologne before and everyone raves about the matching soap, but lately I have found myself going off rose scents in general. I do like the smell, but just don't want to smell of it! And it seems I'm bored by it.

However, I have been liking Lavender a lot lately. I'm not sure I'd want to smell of it all day either, but it's a really nice scent to wake up to and shave with. I also use Original Sauce's Lavender and Tea Tree Shower Gel, which is very nice indeed, and cheap.

So, their other soap, Oxford and Cambridge, really intrigued me. And here's why, from their site:

. It contains a blend of English and French lavender, topped with herbaceous peppermint and rosemary essential oils with bergamot on a base of warm oak moss.

I paid the cool £20 for a refill puck and went on my way.

Now, if you've ever tried the Valobra stick, you have a pretty good idea how good this stuff is. I love it! However, I don't love the scent....

It's known that Valobra also make shave soap for Art of Shaving and C&S, and I've been meaning to get some AoS Lavender soap for a while, but never got round to it.

It's almost certainly the same soap base (it does say Made in Italy on the box). The quality and texture of the lather is identical, with one exception - the scent! :mrgreen:

Here is the link:

http://www.czechandspeake.com/products.asp?catid=14&deptid=1

If you like Lavender, you have to give this a try. The scent is mainly Lavender but it's more complex than a single note Lavender, totally different to anything I've smelt before.

Is it worth £20 for a 90g refill? Only you can decide that. I think the combo of Valobra soap performance plus a magnificent scent makes it worth every penny. And being a hard triple-milled soap, should last a long time.

John

Thanks for the review, John.

Speaking from own experience, I too started off with a puck of No. 88, having sampled the corresponding cologne. I had the impression I would equally like the shave soap, but that didn't happen (scent-wise) not even to the slightest extent.

True that their pucks lather like mad, those Italians have done a great job once again. However, judging from C&S's exquisite formulations in their scents, at the moment I would personally still be hesitant to give the C&S Lavender product a try, especially after having discovered the outstanding Castle Forbes Lavender shave cream quite some time ago.

An interesting product to keep in mind, though everyone's opinion on this may as well vary widely of course.

N_Architect said:
Thanks for the review, John.

Speaking from own experience, I too started off with a puck of No. 88, having sampled the corresponding cologne. I had the impression I would equally like the shave soap, but that didn't happen (scent-wise) not even to the slightest extent.

True that their pucks lather like mad, those Italians have done a great job once again. However, judging from C&S's exquisite formulations in their scents, at the moment I would personally still be hesitant to give the C&S Lavender product a try, especially after having discovered the outstanding Castle Forbes Lavender shave cream quite some time ago.

An interesting product to keep in mind, though everyone's opinion on this may as well vary widely of course.

I'm quite surprised by this, maybe your nose is better than mine! :D I don't think the O&C cologne and soap smell exactly alike (but then, it would be quite a feat to create the complexity of an EdT scent in a shave soap). With an EdT, the oils evaporate at different rates on the skin over time, and getting this same behaviour into a soap would be impossible, I imagine.

However, the soap does smell exceedingly good, either way. No, it's not Castle Forbes Lavender (but that's single note Lavender). Creams do usually smell more strongly than soaps.

Regardless, I much prefer the lather I get from the Valobra soap base. I have a full tub of CF Limes, and while the scent is outstanding, the perfermance is average, and I believe Taylors and Trumpers creams perform better.

John

I have a sample of the Oxford & Cambridge cologne, and it reminded me of Davihoff Coolwater in some respects. Personally, I don't see that as a bad thing, but the lavender content was, to my nose, not that strong.

Ian

I've just ordered their sample pack. The Oxford and Cambridge does sound nice, I'll be interested to see how it smells. I really like the Art of Shaving lavender cream, great performance and a nice scent of pure lavender.

Yellow Jim said:
I've just ordered their sample pack. The Oxford and Cambridge does sound nice, I'll be interested to see how it smells. I really like the Art of Shaving lavender cream, great performance and a nice scent of pure lavender.

I'd avoid Cuba like the plague - like Che Guevara's armpit. I washed off the sample after an hour - horrid!

Rev-O said:
Scent-wise C&S's O&C cologne is very similar to the MdC soap.

Anyone tried both soaps - O&C and MdC?

I have - to me they're similar but different. Both have Lavender and Mint but I think the O&C is more complex.

I did not like the 88 soap, but have been wanting to trey the O&C for a while. Thanks for the review, that may help me take the plunge next time there is any sort of offer (Seldom).

Back
Top Bottom