Customs, grrrrrrrrr.

Got nabbed for an additional £11 (£8 admin) on a $25 (£15.31) razor, £15 being the limit, you've been warned.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390710804740?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

antdad said:
Yes I thought it was £16 limit, for £25 the razor was just about worth the punt for £35 it wasn't.

I had the same the other week, it's the £8 handling fee that made me mad!.

It's worth mentioning that the £15 limit also includes the cost of postage so you were £9.44 over the limit.

Unlucky you Tony, just to rub salt in the wound, I purchased a NOS razor cost me £241 sailed straight through customs, I was expecting a duty charge and handling fees of around £90 and even wove this into my purchase thinking that even then the razor would have been a good deal but at £241 it was an outstanding deal.

Re: RE: Customs, grrrrrrrrr.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Unlucky you Tony, just to rub salt in the wound, I purchased a NOS razor cost me £241 sailed straight through customs, I was expecting a duty charge and handling fees of around £90 and even wove this into my purchase thinking that even then the razor would have been a good deal but at £241 it was an outstanding deal.

So a £331 good deal for a razor? What little beauty did you aquire?

ShavingAl said:
antdad said:
Yes I thought it was £16 limit, for £25 the razor was just about worth the punt for £35 it wasn't.

It's worth mentioning that the £15 limit also includes the cost of postage so you were £9.44 over the limit.

It isn't, customs duty + vat is placed on the purchase value or what has been declared.

antdad said:
ShavingAl said:
antdad said:

It isn't, customs duty + vat is placed on the purchase value or what has been declared.

I might be wrong but this was my interpretation from the HMRC website unless it was a gift.

Value Added Tax (VAT) - Import VAT is charged at the same rate that applies to similar goods sold in the UK and applies to commercial goods over £15 in value, and on gifts that are over £40* in value. However, please note that commercial consignments sent to the UK from the Channel Islands do not benefit from any relief of import VAT. The value of the goods for import VAT is based on the:

basic value of goods, plus
postage, packing and insurance, plus
any import (Customs or Excise) duties charged.

As with customs duty, the cost of postage is excluded from the calculation for VAT on gifts

I spoke to someone from customs earlier in the year about the limit and they said the postage paid was added to the value of the item and then the price of vat was determined from that as i got stung for about £12 for being 13p over the 15 quid limit....

Back
Top Bottom