Custom razors and some iron

Irony that is with reference to Alex custom razors-CLICK

Let me start with Alex ( Philadelph ) started restoring razors a year ago and later mentored by local bladesmith IIRC. Let me preface this with I've got nothing against Alex I think his work is great but also like one of restorers at the forum he frequents admitted that he charges too much. How much is too much?

I for one have an Iwasaki razor originally founded by Iwasaki Kousuke and tradition carried by son, Shigeyoshi and now Shigeyoshi's successor Mizuouchi Ryuichi. Three generations of Iwasaki made razors vs lil ol' Alex's $600 some razors. Hmm that's mighty tough to choose...

I think I'll pick up another Iwasaki for half the price

Oh and other makes:

Specially since only making razors not even decades worth he saw fit to thrash Livi's razors in the forums chat via IRC. A chat which I got perma-banned from due to my "negative" review of Livi's razor on another forum that conveniently found its way to their forum.

The long awaited answer you've been waiting for is the irony here is the selling of Alex custom razors to the very same entity that banned me ( from chat, not the forum-as if it matters ) because I didn't like how that vendor honed a bloody overpriced razor sold to me ( I later sold along with 2 other razors molested by said vendor ). I reckon the vendor got butt hurt over my scathing unflattering review. Truth be told I'd prefer have someone afflicted with Parkinson's hone my razor instead of the acclaimed "honemeister" HAH what a joke.

If only I can find the logged chat of Alex's comments of "I don't like Livi's razors, they're unevenly ground, too many scratches...." I would be more credible than boy who cried wolf. Furthermore, I'd frame such a classic shot.

So hypothetically speaking if I were to entertain buying Alex's customs HERE and since there's a conflict of interest how would that work out since I'd rather glass jar shoved up my rectum than give my hard earned money to a shoddy piss poor business?

I reckon Alex and I would probably best off doing business one-on-one. I'm glad Alex is selling his customs though because he's made it for himself and at the same time his little gopher is sittin there with overpriced Livis collecting dust.

Now back to original question how much is too much? That depends. One thing to really consider is would you prefer to do business with an entity who prides itself on being about "community" while at the same token be a hypocritical t*at who mar its community by deliberately preventing several of its members from selling as well as banning them for fear of "competition"? I think I'd rather take my business elsewhere and finance such proprietors who aren't money grubbing scum.

Back
Top Bottom