Currently eating....

RE: What are you eating....

Hiya,

Just outta curiosity, how many of you don't bother using a spatula to flip your eggs? Heh, in about 1976 I was a regular breakfast customer in a small diner owned by a French guy. He usta get up every morning and make croissants for God's sake, which is real labor intensive.

Anyway, I would normally sit at the counter, just to watch him flip eggs and omelettes. Seeing that made me want to learn that handy trick, which I did. Hah, almost forgot that when he got pissed off he would swear a little with a French accent......pretty funny.

I use a spatula to flip my fried eggs over just before I serve. Well usually. The other day I was frying eggs when I heard a particularly loud 'pop' and when I went to the pan I found that one of the eggs had flipped over all by itself. It put a big smile on my face for the rest of the afternoon!

Heinz Pea and Ham with a two chunks of bread and a packet of Seabrook S & V. A diet lunch for me, alas.

Re: RE: What are you eating....

Pig Cat said:
dodgy said:
Pig Cat said:
dodgy said:
Now I was taught by my father to soak broken up matzah in boiling water, squish it out and then mix with egg and plenty of salt and pepper. Then it should be fried in butter. It sounds like you leave your matzah in sheets. Dat certainly is an option!! But surely if you add ham to it, the whole thing will just explode in to a blasphemous puff of smoke?!

What I do is to break up the matzah and soak in cold water for a few minutes. The idea is to soften up the crackers a lot, but to still leave some slightly firm texture after the water is squoze out.

Takes maybe 5-6 minutes of doing the butter saute to get the matzah coated and lightly toasted and hot all the way through. From there I will mix up a few eggs very well and pour em in the pan....two eggs for 5-6 matzah sheets.
Stir and continue cooking till the eggs are firmly coating the crackers. Normally salt's the only seasoning for this delicate dish. Tasty!

Similar to my recipe then, but I chuck it all in at once. It's quite nice to know somebody outside my own family who cooks this. :icon_razz:

It's called matza brie, either sweet or non-sweet versions. For example instead of water you can soak it in milk and sweet wine add a pinch of cinnamon and vanilla :)... endless various...

KLF said:
It's called matza brie, either sweet or non-sweet versions. For example instead of water you can soak it in milk and sweet wine add a pinch of cinnamon and vanilla :)... endless various...

Hmmm interesting. Not sure if I like the sound of a sweet version, but you never know...

Coincidentally I have been know to enjoy matzah with actual Brie.

On topic now, I'm not eating anything because for tea I stuffed in to a beef casserole, dumplings and baked potato followed by sticky toffee pudding for afters. I forgot to put the bay leaf in the casserole. Has anybody tucked in to a meal and got annoyed that they forgot to put the bay leaf in? Seriously, anybody ever?!

pjgh said:
We're up in Iceland for a few days and tonight, I was so hungry I could have eaten a horse!

In fact, I did!

... tenderloin, after a starter of Minke Whale.

Mmmmmm, Minke whale. Funny this came up. Here in Chicago next week is Minke Month, with that delicacy being served many ways on lots of street corners by the Minke Men catering service. The kids love chunks of that big ole mammal ground up, then shaped like a rodent, and finally grilled and put on a bun. Called the Minke Mouse burger of course.

Personally, I like eating any kinda whale. It makes me feel superior chowing down on something smarter than me.

We had shepherd's pie tonight, well my take on it :)

Caramalised onions, mince, carrots, garden peas in a tomatoe gravy with a hint of chille, dash of salt and pepper and burried unferneath a load of potatoe and swede mash, ruddy lovely :D

Working from home today, just made some creamy scrambled eggs (free range) with shredded smoked ham and spring onion, plus two slices of toast. Pretty good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom