Curious Journey of the British Gillette Tech

I have numerous Techs, including one yet to feature in Fat February (if I remember) - birth year, not cased, but boxed and very possibly intended to be on its way to the Vietnam War. Unrelated, but my question is - I have several British 40s Techs which are clearly 'fat handle' (I've weighed them) and flat bottomed (Achim pictures these per this thread). Is there any particular magic in describing them as fat handle or flat bottom and why choose one description over t'other?

Last edited:
Depends which part you ascribe the most value to, I guess? Dunno. I'd use both to describe the full razor if that's what I was doing (like "RFB New with open-ended ball-end handle" just to pick something not Tech) otherwise, I'd just talk about the working end of it - the head.

One point of interest is that British fat handles and American fat handles are different. The American ones are more "muffin topped" ... yeah, like the people. Canadian fat handle are often paired with the British style handles but I have seen many examples with the American style.

Like there's such a thing as "too many Techs"? That's like saying "too many bottles of whisky" or "too many kittens". Puh! Splurge, man! Collect 'em all ... and collect backups ... and collect 'em again, but this time in their cases.

Well, I like both whiskey and cats. And razor cases. Backups are always sensible. I guess I’m hosed eh? :D

So I went with a Tech shave today. I thought it fitting to ‘go British’ and selected a 50s Brit Ball End. But loading the blade I recalled the comments on the ‘small pins’ on the brit cap. So have I a Frankenrazor? It seems like this combination is wrong and must represent a mix up? Handy info you have created allowing me to discover this.

IMG_7501.jpeg
IMG_7504.jpeg

I have numerous Techs, including one yet to feature in Fat February (if I remember) - birth year, not cased, but boxed and very possibly intended to be on its way to the Vietnam War. Unrelated, but my question is - I have several British 40s Techs which are clearly 'fat handle' (I've weighed them) and flat bottomed (Achim pictures these per this thread). Is there any particular magic in describing them as fat handle or flat bottom and why choose one description over t'other?
If it's the "normal" diamond baseplate with a fat handle I just call it a "fat handle Tech", if it's the unique Brit baseplate I would say it was a flat bottom Brit with a fat handle.

So I went with a Tech shave today. I thought it fitting to ‘go British’ and selected a 50s Brit Ball End. But loading the blade I recalled the comments on the ‘small pins’ on the brit cap. So have I a Frankenrazor? It seems like this combination is wrong and must represent a mix up? Handy info you have created allowing me to discover this.

View attachment 117098
View attachment 117099
I've seen that cap on many Tech razors, and I've said often that there is no correct group of parts that make a Tech. What was available in the parts bins at the time would be used as long as it worked, if it fits it ships.

You might want to cross-check against this @Pogonaut

Apologies, by "Long Slot" the second column, I really mean "Long Pin" (as in full length pin) like you're showing here. You can see that during the 1950s, I've listed three British examples - one has the twin pin cap (the earliest) and the others the full pin cap.

I have an inkling that the etching or stamping is the key here - once etched, certainly with the "Gillette" in a diamond like yours, it'll have the long pin. Earlier ones have just "Gillette" (no diamond surround) or are un-etched. The French one I mention is actually stamped in.

ABLVV84jCBj2hqAd_MNYwSCiLacp6J_1YpvWEpBQtfqSa_Koh1FaLcv9PtTLwIy6RzrxD7ky01Rk5FiCkqICSQPOCrMmPEbYef0tIykl85zhRkNNzc-h1uZ1wlj_9MQAQ1uCXGwnsUnol1VAUv-oFGHGYbNtRw=w1200

Left-most and second left-most show no and word only etching and over on the far right, there's the stamped one. So, those two on the left are twin pin and those two over on the right are long pin. Also long pin are the two in the middle with the full etch, the gold one Argentine and the chromed one American.

Yeah, checking through my master list (I have over 50 Techs, some in the loft) I can see a clear pattern that once the etch got beyond the mere "Gillette" word, the pin length settles on the long pin for British Techs ... as per the American Tech. So, I suppose the picture on page one could be better with two additional rows should first a British long pin and finally the American long pin (B) as the final destination. I'll re-do the picture some time (but don't hold your breath) as I was annoyed with the American long pin (B) being upside down.

You might want to cross-check against this @Pogonaut

Apologies, by "Long Slot" the second column, I really mean "Long Pin" (as in full length pin) like you're showing here. You can see that during the 1950s, I've listed three British examples - one has the twin pin cap (the earliest) and the others the full pin cap.

I have an inkling that the etching or stamping is the key here - once etched, certainly with the "Gillette" in a diamond like yours, it'll have the long pin. Earlier ones have just "Gillette" (no diamond surround) or are un-etched. The French one I mention is actually stamped in.

ABLVV84jCBj2hqAd_MNYwSCiLacp6J_1YpvWEpBQtfqSa_Koh1FaLcv9PtTLwIy6RzrxD7ky01Rk5FiCkqICSQPOCrMmPEbYef0tIykl85zhRkNNzc-h1uZ1wlj_9MQAQ1uCXGwnsUnol1VAUv-oFGHGYbNtRw=w1200

Left-most and second left-most show no and word only etching and over on the far right, there's the stamped one. So, those two on the left are twin pin and those two over on the right are long pin. Also long pin are the two in the middle with the full etch, the gold one Argentine and the chromed one American.

Yeah, checking through my master list (I have over 50 Techs, some in the loft) I can see a clear pattern that once the etch got beyond the mere "Gillette" word, the pin length settles on the long pin for British Techs ... as per the American Tech. So, I suppose the picture on page one could be better with two additional rows should first a British long pin and finally the American long pin (B) as the final destination. I'll re-do the picture some time (but don't hold your breath) as I was annoyed with the American long pin (B) being upside down.

Got it! Thanks. Your logic on these seems sound so I’m going with your identification plan. It is really helpful for sorting through the development of these razors. Well done! So not a Frankenrazor, and a strategy for making good sense of my pile.
Now only to find find one of……and one of….….:) (I need new batteries for my scale and then, watch out!)

Back
Top Bottom