Cufflinks

I see no dedicated thread, so let's hit the road on this one too.

An important accessory, at least to those of us who do office/clerical work and like cuffed shirts (no buttons). Something one may get to use daily, so rotation here makes sense.

If one gets a cufflinks pair wrong, either because they are too bulky, heavy, or because their one-piece design may not be as functional as having a rotating securing back side, then pleasure is spoiled in a way.

Let's take a look at a few different designs:

cuffs7_zps2177a659.jpg

Hermes, solid silver.

cuffs4_zps0ee7c48d.jpg

Hermes, solid silver. $550; Hermes boutique, Fukuoka International Airport duty free, Japan.

cuffs5_zps8d87c7d1.jpg

Dunhill, rose gold, vintage style, $90 (after 50% off), Shinsegeae Duty Free, Busan.

cuffs3_zpsd9877fd9.jpg

Cartier, solid silver.

cuffs6_zpsd09a8bd9.jpg

Dunhill, aircraft propeller, solid silver.

cuffs2_zps735aa376.jpg

Montblanc, YG-plated. I also have the same design in the Platinum-plated version.

cuffs1_zps873318ec.jpg

Dunhill, 'spring-drive' style, pretty bulky and heavy, the cufflink head is actually compressible.

box7_zps5c3cd61a.jpg

Ercolano box, handmade in Italy. These go for $400+, as it is hard to make the box out of small coloured wooden pieces.

(ctd.)

Here's few for your collection K, from a very well known and quite collectable designer Georg Jensen.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=georg+jensen+cufflinks&client=firefox-a&hs=dm8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=TmjlUbPuLsSe7AbXr4Ao&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=681

Jamie.

I started kind of collecting them quite a few years ago, but by accident. I used to be a dry cleaning and laundry engineer and was always finding the damn things blocking up pumps and pipes in the machines. I started collecting them as when I tried to give them to the shop owners they always told me to chuck them in the bin. After a few years I even started finding the other half of a pair and now have around 30 pairs. Nothing as exciting or as nice as above though :-(
Maybe have to get the camera out and post a pic, if anyone spots one they are missing I might be able to complete the set

Cuffs7_zps267d0b81.jpg

Cuffs4_zps5aed51f3.jpg

Cuffs6_zps4731bb0a.jpg

Cartier, solid silver.

cuffs9_zps7f8b75c1.jpg

Left section, L-R starting from top row:
Pink, Skultuna
Zegna, Zegna
Cartier Roadster, MB blue quartz crystal
Zegna, Ferragamo
Zegna, cheap ones from HKG

I like cufflinks but that is a collection and a half.

I have about six sets, no photos handy but will take some soon. My favorite (most worn) are a nice silver bar set my wife bought me, they are quite subtle and don't compete or clash with just about anything. I have set I bought while on the QE2s third last trip. made from Sterling silver they are a miniature QE2, a little bit tacky but I thought novel and collectable.

I know I have a nice black and white set I usually use with the tux but I haven't seen them in ages.....I am hoping that my wife put them away because the last time I was at a Tux appropriate event I couldn't bite my fingernails by the time I got home, 25 year old malt and expensive cigars, felt like shit in the morning but I know I had a good time on the night.

I love the Dunhill propellers, those are unusual. The last picture with the blue ones in the box are interesting as well, I was looking at a blue set recently but didn't buy them, couldn't make my mind up.

Some nice stuff there. I wear cufflinks every working day and have about a dozen sets matched up with different suss, shirts and ties, the total cost of which is probably less than a typical pair of yours :). I also have a couple of pairs of my grandfather's traditional gold chained links, which I've never actually worn out of the house.

As always, top drawer quality & very tasteful K. I especially admire the Cartier set, however I don't doubt that any of them make quite an impression at design conferences or at initial meet & greets. As our old "Total Quality Management" coach used to say, "Only one opportunity to make that 1st impression.".

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Thanks boys; all that matters is the pleasure one gets when wearing them. I like to rotate a bit, so they serve to provide some variety in my daily office (but sometimes also evening or weekend) life.

But, let me think again - I did not start the thread(s) with ties and pocket squares yet, did I?

Oh, noooooo...

:icon_rolleyes:

I love cuff links, or silk knots if I want to dress down a little. I guess I have about 25 shirts, and only a few (5 or so) don't have double cuffs. Will try a get around to putting some pics up.

I only wear cuff links for special occasions, so not much need in spending big money on any. I've a few silver sets, but pride of place are my late father in laws gold ones which my late mother in law gave me. I hold them both my in laws in high regard, so I can't ever bring myself to wear them, just in case I lost one.

Back
Top Bottom