Crap shave of the day

just when i thought i'd cracked it, i've just had a shocker of a shave and have no idea what went wrong...

razor - merkur 38c
blade - 3rd outing for the Derby Extra, which is normally ok but I experienced really bad pulling and tugging tonight
soap - palmolive shave stick which has been great for me and was usual consistency/thickness
balm - Boots' Freshwood balm in place of my usual Clinique post shave stuff (but pretty sure it can't be due to switching over to this at the weekend as this is post the shave...)

anyway, i ended up flipping the blade over midway through to see if that made a difference, re-lathered and had another crack - no improvement (hoping this particular move wasn't a schoolboy error... :? )

in the end i soldiered on through which was painful and i'm now left with lots of bumps and stubborn hairs. :(

obvious thing to do would be to chuck the blade but it was great at the weekend and i usually get 4 shaves out of the derby's.

might just put it down to a one off blip and try again in 24hrs...

jim

It does sound like you should have binned the blade as soon as the pulling and tugging started .
Varying opinions about Derby blades, don't like them myself.

Arrowhead said:
Lots of people say Derby blades are inconsistent, so you probably got a duffer... actually I don't really believe that, I think they're lousy.

the only others i have to hand at the moment are some Israeli blades from the shaving shack...
also tempted to stock up and get a sample pack and work my way through the different brands.

I had a duffer (well not terrible but not great) shave tonight, using a Merkur Futur and a Feather blade on its 2nd shave. I don't know if I maybe knocked the blade against something but after the shave I took the blade out and dragged it over my thumb nail and I could feel a couple of spots on it where there must have been micro nics in the blade. For all they cost, I chucked it and will start afresh next shave (which may be in a day or 2 to allow burn to settle)

David said it best............... it happens. I don't think there is anyone on here who, for whatever reason, doesn't have the occasional bad shave.

Try the Israeli blades next time, they are similar to the Red Personnas and should give you a comparison to the Derby without getting too sharp.

Also try some Palmolive cream in the tube. The stick is great but the cream is cheap and a bit easier to lather.

Damian Murphy said:
Connaught do the best packs apparently ,pm me and I'll pif you a couple blades (astra's etc) if you like.

thanks for the offer, i've just had a look on connaughts and they've got some good packs on there so will give them a go.
wish i'd dived in when i purchased my kit!

Theres all sorts of reasons for a crap shave - A bad blade is always an option..
As for 'its bad cos its a ....' - You should never take someones opinion on a blade as fact - I hated the legendary sweedes .. but adore Derbys..
Its the biggest variable in DE wetshaving.

The only real way is to make your way through a full sampler pack and make your own mind up.

However that said - you do get the odd 'bad' blade in any number of manufacturers.. Ive had 3-4 in the last 2 years - out of various types.
Out the packet into the razor and feels like its as dull as a spoon...
I just take it as a matter of course, bin it and get another - the benefit of a low price point really.

But as said - If something feels wrong, don't just persevere.. Change the blade, re-prep, re-lather.. Else you know a bad shave is guaranteed.

Attero said:
Theres all sorts of reasons for a crap shave - A bad blade is always an option..
As for 'its bad cos its a ....' - You should never take someones opinion on a blade as fact - I hated the legendary sweedes .. but adore Derbys..
Its the biggest variable in DE wetshaving.

The only real way is to make your way through a full sampler pack and make your own mind up.

However that said - you do get the odd 'bad' blade in any number of manufacturers.. Ive had 3-4 in the last 2 years - out of various types.
Out the packet into the razor and feels like its as dull as a spoon...
I just take it as a matter of course, bin it and get another - the benefit of a low price point really.

But as said - If something feels wrong, don't just persevere.. Change the blade, re-prep, re-lather.. Else you know a bad shave is guaranteed.

Switched to the Israeli's and had a good shave this morning + sample pack arrived today from Connaughts - looking forward to trying out 35+ blades!

Back
Top Bottom