Crabtree & Evelyn Sandal wood

I've never had any problems lathering C&E soaps.

Soak the brush, squeeze out the water and shake out the water a few times and start swirling and churning the brush on the soap. Do maybe 40 or so swirls and add a little water and do 40 or so more, add a little water and swirl some more.

Or just use the wet brush with water squeezed out and and load the brush and face lather.

I have the sandlewood, and found it got much better once there was a small depression formed in it. Almost as if the outer most layer is skin like and lathers less than the soap a few millimetres under the surface. Perhaps that is why milling it works?

Mand

mand said:
I have the sandlewood, and found it got much better once there was a small depression formed in it. Almost as if the outer most layer is skin like and lathers less than the soap a few millimetres under the surface. Perhaps that is why milling it works?

Mand

I'm wondering if soaps wrapped in paper and in a cardboard box form an outer 'skin', and if soaps that come in plastic tubs don't do this.

I picked up a cheap puck of the Sandalwood soap recently, I'm glad I gave C&E another go as it lathers beautifully!. It's really strange because the sienna just didn't work ? The only thing I've changed is my brush, an omega Boar.

Greetings

I think it is the same old problem with C&E as with many of Trumpers soaps, namely by whom and where they are made and what reformulation they are currently selling.

Now that we all know that Soapworks near Glasgow are openly advertising C&E. Trumpers and Trufitt and Hill amonst their clients and that they only make veggie soaps this may be where the problem lies. But in reality who knows if these examples are made there or are old stock that were were made at The Standard soap company before Soapworks took them over, some of these were superb and some formulations were completely hopeless.

The entire business with many of these once quality soaps is now in utter confusion and a complete mess, some are just ok, some are superb and some are so bad that they are completely unfit for purpose. If you live in the Outer Hebrides and your tap water is still the colour of India Pale Ale and as soft as silk the just ok examples may be quite good, the superb ones will be wondrous and the rubbish ones just usable, elsewhere you are likely to have real problems.

Regards
Dick.

I have C&E Nomad, got it for Christmas, i also have seriously hard water, but i have no problem getting a good workable lather from it *shrugs*

I just did a test lather.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 20
johnboy615 said:
Well, despite being cheap, I was very impressed with the quality of lather I generated with Palmolive. I decided to give this soap thing a try and ordered the C&E sandalwood.
Well I just can not get it to lather.
Palmolive is one of the most overlooked wonders in shaving. If ranked by value, there may be none better. You can sneeze on it and get lather. It should be the de-facto beginners soap IMHO. Now I rarely use mine because there are too many other soaps which smell nicer but I still use it when shaving my neck as I'm guaranteed a protective shave even when twisting my arms and razor around backwards.

I'd recommend a stick of DRH if you're looking to treat yourself. Sorry I don't have any experience with C&E but I'm sure you'll learn to dial it in with enough practice.

johnboy615 said:
I've been using creams for the last six or so years but recently bought a Palmolive soap for convenience on a trip.
Well, despite being cheap, I was very impressed with the quality of lather I generated with Palmolive.

The Palmolive soap stick gives the most lovely, slick, thick lather and smells good too! its just one of those ace, cheap products that's hard to beat. Its a tough act to follow in my limited experience.....

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

I think it is the same old problem with C&E as with many of Trumpers soaps, namely by whom and where they are made and what reformulation they are currently selling.

Now that we all know that Soapworks near Glasgow are openly advertising C&E. Trumpers and Trufitt and Hill amonst their clients and that they only make veggie soaps this may be where the problem lies. But in reality who knows if these examples are made there or are old stock that were were made at The Standard soap company before Soapworks took them over, some of these were superb and some formulations were completely hopeless.

The entire business with many of these once quality soaps is now in utter confusion and a complete mess, some are just ok, some are superb and some are so bad that they are completely unfit for purpose. If you live in the Outer Hebrides and your tap water is still the colour of India Pale Ale and as soft as silk the just ok examples may be quite good, the superb ones will be wondrous and the rubbish ones just usable, elsewhere you are likely to have real problems.

Regards
Dick.

Unfortunately this is the truth of the matter, its all about cost, volume, packaging while maintaining quality of appearance now a days, its no longer about the usability or quality of the product itself. These qualities have gone by the way side in recent times, or so it would appear with these soaps. I blame shaving creams for this happening. I'm sure all large companies would prefer to just sell this, its cheaper, easier to produce and potentially provides greater profits than hard soap. Not everyone can produce shaving creams either, so more of a captured market for those that can.

This said it does give way for more keen artisan soap makers to come up through the ranks with good replacement products.

Palmolive, I want to buried with a fresh stick in my shirt pocket when I die.

I live in a really hard water area and I would recommend Tabac or Kent (MWF)

Best to submerge the whole soap bowl, razor and brush in a basin of hot water before you start= never fails.

Kent soap is currently available for £5.60 a 120g puck on Amazon with Prime delivery or free supersaver delivery, which took 3 working days.

Back
Top Bottom