Crabtree & Evelyn Sandal wood

I've been using creams for the last six or so years but recently bought a Palmolive soap for convenience on a trip.
Well, despite being cheap, I was very impressed with the quality of lather I generated with Palmolive. I decided to give this soap thing a try and ordered the C&E sandalwood.
Well I just can not get it to lather. I've tried it with three different brushes and even tried soaking the soap in warm water first. Nada! I'm trying face lathering as with the Palmolive but as soon as I try to add any water the little lather I have on my face disappears.
Any thoughts please?

I know people grate sticks however I read some where if you grate a soap then press it back in the bowl it works better

Don't ask me why

Having grated some fat, and a tabac puck but adding some derby stick it did work so much better

I've also did it with another soap (can't remember name) but adding nothing and that worked better

Have a try

I had exactly the same issue with a puck of C&E Sienna, didn't matter how long I loaded it for I couldn't get a decent lather out of it.
I live in a very hard water area maybe that has something to do with it ?
Shame really as it smelt divine,I ended up using it as a bath soap !

I have the same issue with C&E lime soap, so I attacked it, I used the proraso brush (some call it a brush I prefer the term wife beater) I swirled the forked tongued beast around the afraid looking puck for 3 minutes straight then face lathered with no water but that which was already upon my face, result: it worked.

Lesson: beat your puck to get a creamy finish

Thanks all. I feel a little better knowing it's not just me! I've grated 1/2 of it now and will try again tomorrow. I hope I don't have to beat it to death for 3 minutes though!

I have the C&E nomad and sandalwood and haven't noticed any issues with lathering my water area according to stw is slightly hard but i do use finest hair brushes as they offer a little more firmness for when loading the soap...

Tried the Sienna a couple of years ago, all i can remember was that to get a decent lather out of it i found adding 250ml of fairy liquid, 30ml of Autoglym Bodywork Conditioner and a cheap fizzy bath bomb helped.

Have got all the different C&E soaps, including Sandalwood, they all explode with lather, although to be fair the water is very soft here in Carlisle. All the soaps I have work extremely well here, so presume hard water is the problem !

I'm using the C&E Nomad currently - its average to poor and can't wait for it to be finished so I can get on with some others! - I may tip it out and use it as a bath soap tomorrow just to get rid!

Ratty

I did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago with a Nomad shaving soap, using it as a shower soap. The shaving lather was not that good, and it put me off using shaving soaps until I started using the Erasmic soap bowl which I reckon is far better.

I grated the soap as suggested, soaked it first and really attacked it with the New Forest brush. What a transformation! Managed 3 passes, slight touch up and the brush was still well loaded. Thanks for all the suggestions.

As I'm only 5 miles from you Jim I am well aware of the hard water round here, what a pain! Since grating the soap it's been lathering beautifully.

Back
Top Bottom