Coventry

Went up to Coventry today for my black belt fitness test, which was in Foleshill Road. While there I saw loads of shops which appeared to cater for the Asian community.

I wanted to get back to Somerset, as its my daughters birthday today, so I didn't go exploring but I'm back up there in 3 weeks for the syllabus and sparring part of the grading and wonder if any shops round there are worth a visit next time?

Basically Tae Kwon Do, but not as its traditionally taught. We also mix in aspects of lots of other arts, such as Jujitsu, Boxing, Mauy Thai, Kung Fu, Capoeira and also some stick fighting work from Filipino arts plus a couple of kicks found in a French martial art called Savate.

Im surprised a fitness test is necessary, then again i did aikido for a few years which is fairly lax by comparison.

Global or itf?

Friend of mine is 2nd dan, dislikes global i think he said it's less traditional and less practical.

I think he was wtf, then was switched to itf.

I was taba aikido, mix of the traditional and the budo so very adaptable, had to use it once and it came in very handy, silly jock took a swing at me.

ITF style but not affiliated and using the original methods of generating power through hip twist rather than the post 1980's sine wave stuff that TKD seemed to put in to make itself different from Karate.

There is sooooooo much politics involved in TKD, which is why I say its based on it rather than the actual art. From what I gather, TKD purists would be outraged to think of mixing in bits from other arts.

Jeltz said:
Basically Tae Kwon Do, but not as its traditionally taught. We also mix in aspects of lots of other arts, such as Jujitsu, Boxing, Mauy Thai, Kung Fu, Capoeira and also some stick fighting work from Filipino arts plus a couple of kicks found in a French martial art called Savate.

A fair rounded mix of stuff , is the 'Jujitsu' BJJ or japanese ? I take it you're not ITF/WTF but an off shoot ? Self defence based or Competition ? Hope I'm not being too nosy .

Jeltz said:
There is sooooooo much politics involved in TKD, which is why I say its based on it rather than the actual art. From what I gather, TKD purists would be outraged to think of mixing in bits from other arts.

That was the very reason why he left, he got sick and fed up with all the politics involved. Similar thing going on with local biking clubs, folks trying to make it all 'political' instead of getting out there and just enjoying it. :roll:

My old sensei bumps into me and says why don't i get back into it, partly because petrol is just plain ridiculous, plus i wasn't learning anything. Sure i was a brown belt but in terms of ability i was at least 1st dan if not 2nd, gradings didn't really bother me, just got on my wick having to teach and not learn anything in the end.

Anyway err asian stores, Hmm they are meant to be great for cheap alum block, you might get lucky and find some arko soap. If you find any made in india old spice hoard the stuff, it's meant to be very good.

Damian Murphy said:
A fair rounded mix of stuff , is the 'Jujitsu' BJJ or japanese ? I take it you're not ITF/WTF but an off shoot ? Self defence based or Competition ? Hope I'm not being too nosy .
Well BJJ really worked into MMA - stand up game, take down and ground fighting etc. I've not been training the MMA side to much over the last few months as its easy to pick up injuries and with the BB grading coming up I wanted to concentrate on the technical and fitness side.

We do work self defence but the best form of defence is to not be there! All "practical" SD is create an exit then get out of there. In my opinion knife defences and stick, bat, sword or even gun disarms are a to be left in action movies unless there is absolutely on other option but to try. Anyone that thinks they can disarm a knife wielding opponent needs to face someone armed with a marker pen in a fight then count the lines drawn on them and consider how much blood they would have lost!

There is competition training as well, I took part in a kick boxing tournament a couple of years ago and got silver in my weight class. Having done it I don't feel the need to do more. Although it should be light contact it can get pretty heavy in these competitions and a its easy to come away with a black eye or broken nose, I'm self employed and work with the public so it wouldn't be a good look! We have, however, got some young "gladiators" in the club that are starting out on the amateur MMA circuit. One of them is 20, solid muscle and has only been training a couple of years, if he continues to improve at the pace he is, he might be pro standard in a few years.

We can also learn various martial arts weapons and I've done some stuff with sticks, staff and nunchaku its basically demonstration stuff rather than how to fight with them, and the club demo team performs routines at fates, schools and they were even asked to do something at last years Royal Bath and West show. That said I'm not in the team and its not really my kind of thing.

Damian Murphy said:
Best of luck with the black belt grading. , let us know how you get on and maybe post a picture of yourself in your dobok and new black belt!!!
Passed it! :mrgreen:
Martial_Arts_by_The_Kuu.gif

There were some pics taken I'll post them when I get hold :)

Back
Top Bottom