Couple of slant bar questions

So I'm a lucky boy and my wife bought me a Merkur 37C slant bar for christmas. I've only tried a 39C before today and I had a couple of questions for longer term owners who have lived with these beasts for some time:

1: Are they all fairly noisy? It's not a complaint, more just an observation I needed to confirm or otherwise. The 39C I'd tried before was quite raspy sounding, and the shave with the 37C today the sound was again really quite pronounced. I'm guessing it's the amount of blade exposed.

2: Are there any generally regarded good blades for slants or is it the same as with any other DE, i.e. personal choice? The usual Gillette 7 o'clocks felt very different today. Rougher almost, which sort of doesn't make sense, but there it is.

3: Feathers: Ever? My slant experiences so far have been incident free and I'd like to keep it that way. But some say slant plus feather is the ultimate DE finish. Some say it's asking for trouble.

Thoughts very welcome.

1. I find them noisy as you say more blade hanging out on one side so that will enhance the racket.

2. Feathers IMO.

3. Work a treat effortless shave for some reasom any other blade feels blunt in a slant for me, Try them you wont be dissapointed.

1. yes it seems noisy due to the overhang of blade, there is more blade out so it enhances the noise, it resonates more so you hear it more.

2. Yellows i do not like in mine as they seem rough, i use shark ss in my 39c and get excellent results.

3.Well feathers do not agree with my skin so i don't use them, they may be ok for you though, suck it and see.

Well I've never really liked feathers at all, but you never know, they might suddenly come good in a slant.

I'll let you know the day after tomorrow, I'll be trying one out once I've got 2 days growth back.

I have the 39c and I find that the sound differs with the blade. Used a Feather in it this AM for my Christmas shave and it was very quite. Other blades are louder. You may have to try more in the 37 to see which it likes.
(the 39 does well with Derby's too.)

I've been using my 37C lately so I'll answer.

1 - I ususally find the slant to be quiter than other razors, but it often depends upon what blade I have in, which brings us to...

2 - I find that mine is better with the sharper blades. Astra, Swede, Feather. I did try a 7 O'Clock Yellow in a 39C i had and it worked well, but I generally don't get on with them.

3 - It's worth trying a Feather in it, especially if you already have some. If it works for you then great. I find that I can't perform more than 3 Slant/Feather shaves without getting a bit sore.

Ian

kev... said:
1. I find them noisy as you say more blade hanging out on one side so that will enhance the racket.

2. Feathers IMO.

3. Work a treat effortless shave for some reasom any other blade feels blunt in a slant for me, Try them you wont be dissapointed.

+1 on this.

I love feathers but I think Bolzano's are just that little bit better.

Back
Top Bottom