Connaught Popular Blade Sample Pack

Before I started de shaving, I read a lot of reviews and some said you should start with one type of blade and refine your technique. Others said you should get a blade sampler and find the right one for you. So, I thought I'd give a brief review of this pack from a beginner's point of view.

The pack arrived (together with a Merkur HD and MWF) one working day after it was ordered, great service from Connaught. The pack contents are here; <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://connaughtshaving.com/popular.html">http://connaughtshaving.com/popular.html</a><!-- m -->

I spent the first week with the Astra, which turned out to be a lucky decision as it was one of the best blades for me. Most of the blades were fine on my face, but the neck was a different story. I got quite a bit of irritation from the Sharks and 7 O'Clock Yellows and that put me off trying the Feathers, which are waiting for a milder razor. The Wilkinsons and Red Personnas were OK but not that great. The Astras were second for me with the Crystals a clear first choice.

Also with the razor, not the sample pack, was a Merkur blade (which was OK) and a pack of 5 Treet Platinums. This last blade was a disaster and was the only one I got cut with (quite badly) and there was a lot of irritation on the neck too.

If I'd decided to stick with one blade and refine my technique, I might getting better shaves now, but I might have given up de shaving if I had chosen the Treet Platinum. As it was, the popular blade pack was great fun to use and gave a chance to find out the best blade for me. From my very limited experience I think a sample pack is a safer way into de shaving than sticking with one blade (possibly the wrong one) to begin with.

Best wishes, Johnny.

I bet if you revisit all the blades you've not been keen on in say, 4 months time, you'd like some of those far more. Technique changes things and there's some fine blades there. As you can probably tell by 49er circling round with envious eyes! :lol:

I agree on the Treets, I remember posting something along the lines of "Treet? Far from it!" when I tried them, bloody awful things. Rough as a Bodger's arse.

There is a recall notice out on all Feathers and Yellows. You need to send them to me urgently to be made safe.

Careful, now

Many thanks for your selfless concern for my welfare. However I have carried out a full risk assessment and I think I might just be OK. ;)

I bet if you revisit all the blades you've not been keen on in say, 4 months time, you'd like some of those far more.

Thanks - I'm kind of hoping that might be the case and that's why the blades are neatly stacked in the bathroom cabinet. The Treets however, have long since departed.

Best wishes, Johnny.

Yes it's very interesting trying different blades isn't it

My first blade with my new razor was an Astra - I have to say it's still one of the best.

Next up I've tried Derby's (ok-ish), 7-o'clock yellows (ok-ish, not as good as Astra) and atm I'm on the Sharks (seem pretty 'blunt' and require a lot of passes to get a reasonable shave)

I've yet to try Personna's and Wilkinson's - unfortunately don't have any Feathers ...

How strange. I find those Treet platinum's a great balance of sharp and smooth.

The other Treet blades however and rubbish!

jfk said:
Yes it's very interesting trying different blades isn't it

My first blade with my new razor was an Astra - I have to say it's still one of the best.

Next up I've tried Derby's (ok-ish), 7-o'clock yellows (ok-ish, not as good as Astra) and atm I'm on the Sharks (seem pretty 'blunt' and require a lot of passes to get a reasonable shave)

I've yet to try Personna's and Wilkinson's - unfortunately don't have any Feathers ...

You might like to leave the Feathers for now. Great blades but they demand good technique. Try them later when you have worked through the others.

It's funny with the Treets: About a year ago I ordered the then largest sampler from Connaught. I made a 9 month (!) comparison and exclusion trial, and in the end I had 6 decent performers, which I rated against each other. Treet went last.

A few days ago I used a Treet again, and this time I had the same experience you guys are reporting... How come? With better technique, this blade all of a sudden sucks.

So I had to try my old "definately NOT go-to" blade: Derby's. It was some fine shaves! Nothing spectacular, but OK. Equally puzzling :?

/Max

49er said:
You might like to leave the Feathers for now. Great blades but they demand good technique. Try them later when you have worked through the others.
The problem i found with feathers is if you do like them everything else seems dull.

kev... said:
49er said:
The problem i found with feathers is if you do like them everything else seems dull.

....... but cheap :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom