Comparing three budget soaps

Francorelli said:
If you want to try a world-class soap I would highly recommend Nanny's French Lavender hard soap. It really is tremendous :). If you go for the stainless steel tin option, it will cost just over a tenner including postage...

johnnyhoodoo said:
Lots of great replies here.Thanks everyone.Maybe I need to try a more expensive soap one time just to see what it's all about.Is there anything in the ten to fifteen pound price range that anyone would recommend?

ordered some of this a few days ago, just waiting for it to arrive, i gather the consensus is that this is good stuff ??

is it close to MDC ? i refuse to pay the rip off that is MDC, this is one soap i will not buy on principal.........

sunburyboy93 said:
Francorelli said:
If you want to try a world-class soap I would highly recommend Nanny's French Lavender hard soap. It really is tremendous :). If you go for the stainless steel tin option, it will cost just over a tenner including postage...

johnnyhoodoo said:
Lots of great replies here.Thanks everyone.Maybe I need to try a more expensive soap one time just to see what it's all about.Is there anything in the ten to fifteen pound price range that anyone would recommend?

ordered some of this a few days ago, just waiting for it to arrive, i gather the consensus is that this is good stuff ??

is it close to MDC ? i refuse to pay the rip off that is MDC, this is one soap i will not buy on principal.........

Well I've only seen positive comments here about Nanny's latest creation :icon_smile:. Due to a generous PIF sample of MDC, I've had the opportunity to compare the two soaps. For what it's worth, my opinion is this: The performance is equal, the scent is close but slightly different (I actually prefer the French Lavender). MDC is superb, but let's just say I see no reason to shell out for it when Nanny's is so good and so readily available for a fraction of the cost...

Francorelli said:
sunburyboy93 said:
Francorelli said:

johnnyhoodoo said:

Well I've only seen positive comments here about Nanny's latest creation :icon_smile:. Due to a generous PIF sample of MDC, I've had the opportunity to compare the two soaps. For what it's worth, my opinion is this: The performance is equal, the scent is close but slightly different (I actually prefer the French Lavender). MDC is superb, but let's just say I see no reason to shell out for it when Nanny's is so good and so readily available for a fraction of the cost...

good stuff, looking forward to giving it a whirl, cheers mate

sunburyboy93 said:
Francorelli said:
sunburyboy93 said:
Francorelli said:

johnnyhoodoo said:

good stuff, looking forward to giving it a whirl, cheers mate

It'll be good to hear what you think of it - I don't think you'll be disappointed :icon_biggrin:

To nothestig: hate to say this, but we're the '3rd world of DE shaving' here. but that's not really accurate because if you walked into a $1 store or a druggist, or a grocery store and asked for double or single edged blades at best you would find no dollars store one and the other stores including Walmart and Kmart would have 4 or 5 packs of their store brand DE's at 3to 4$ for 10 or less blades. And none of the clerks knowing what you're talking about when you say double edged. And the look that you see when you say 'any single edged blades?' is as if they just saw ET. 99.9% of all shaving equip is throw aways and aerosol foams. 95% of my purchases are mail order.

^^ I agree with you for the second time tonight BS, Godrej creams and rounds are the king of the budget end, IF you can get them cheap.

The use of a finely perfumed shaving soap that you adore rather than tolerate is another evocative pleasure of traditional shaving

That sums it up. If we're going budget only I think we're kind of missing the point of what most of us are in to.
I think if you're going into the traditional shaving world then you are possibly wanting to try the very best. MDC is a step too far for me, but I'm not averse to spending £15 on a hard soap that will last me a year. I'd spend £3 on a can of goo, 6 times a year in the past so it's not a bad outlay.

Canuck said:
I think if you're going into the traditional shaving world then you are possibly wanting to try the very best. MDC is a step too far for me, but I'm not averse to spending £15 on a hard soap that will last me a year. I'd spend £3 on a can of goo, 6 times a year in the past so it's not a bad outlay.

That's the same reasoning I used to justify buying a cake of L'Occitane Cade the other day - not cheap by any means, but with even cheap Gillette canned gel now selling at £2.75 in my local Superdrug (with the Fusion gel at a whopping £3.99), it works out cheaper to use the Cade.

For my two pennies worth I like most soaps!!

But one that surprises me each time is Body shop Macca root.
Great smell and performance. It's about £8 for a decent tub and a couple of peas sized blobs on my brush produces slick! long lasting lather. Better for me than TOBS or Trumpers.
Cheapo I like Arko. Vintage I have some Surrey soap which is a good old fashioned smell.
My Dad uses only one combo all the time which includes a 50pence Palmolive stick from Wilkos. He's a proper budget shaver!!
Canned goo is rip off both as a consumer and for the environment. I squash my arko soap into a mug!!
Cheers,
TB

Back
Top Bottom