Coffee machine....works! Top tips needed!

Look coffee wars.
I'm all coffee'd out today. Plus I've picked up some sort of bug...
Ugh!
See ya
Tim.
Oh what camera set up are you using there mikael?
Tb

Caffeine content also greatly depends on the type of bean, Robusta beans (much cheaper) have a much higher caffeine content than good Arabica, so some of the Weegies might be cheaping out.

Slick...does it say what type/ratio of beans are used in that Happy Donkey espresso?

I am interested in trying one of these classics out, Amazon have one for £169. What's your suggestion for mail order coffee?

antdad said:
Caffeine content also greatly depends on the type of bean, Robusta beans (much cheaper) have a much higher caffeine content than good Arabica, so some of the Weegies might be cheaping out.

Slick...does it say what type/ratio of beans are used in that Happy Donkey espresso?

It says brazil Colombian east African and Indian beans...
Ta
Tim

Boab said:
I am interested in trying one of these classics out, Amazon have one for £169. What's your suggestion for mail order coffee?
I used netelectrics on the bay. About 140 for a factory return.
I have to say it was mint.
Ta
Tb

and you do need to spend as much on the grinder to take full advantage of the machine.

I have a softspot for Waitroses Continental French dark roast beans...

It will be fine but using freshly ground beans does make a huge difference to the end product, like ground spices they become stale when not used immediately.

antdad said:
It will be fine but using freshly ground beans does make a huge difference to the end product, like ground spices they become stale when not used immediately.

+ 1 ... Did you buy an Epoca? Those are one of my want to have machines:
rancilio-epoca-red.jpg

Close...I bought an S series (S26) which preceded the Epoca face lift. (S27 - has electronic control pad, both plumbed in & rotary rather than vibratory pumps)

rancilio1.jpg

Ahh, classic! :D Looks like a heavy piece of machinery. Every part of Rancilios should the best/industrial parts and I think they use the same parts in all of their machines, so you should be able to replace whatever is dried up or worn out, without any bigger problems or to much money.

It is indeed Mikael, I can get replacements for everything even though it's around 20 years old, haven't plumbed it in yet but I love it already.

The rancilios looks beautiful.
Hey the happy donkey beans are working well.
I am using less tamping pressure. I am using a slighty smaller dose.
My coffee is now getting towards where I like it.
I think I was tamping the arse off it and overfilling the pf.
So it's looking good. Tasting good.
I am going to make my americanos by adding hot water. Not by running extra hot water through the pf.
Wow I'd love to have a fully plumbed in machine the did steam and brew at the same time.
But I have to say the classic is a solid quality piece of kit.
Enjoyment rules!!!
Cheers
Tim.

Good to hear, every time you try a different set of beans the variables change. How's the dualit grinder doing, is it grinding fine enough for a decent extraction and crema?

Well I have nothing to compare it with.....
I think another 60 quid would have seen me with an Iberital MC2. Which I might have been happier with.
It goes on forever though doesnt it.
The Dualit is grinding fine. I think extraction is OK too. When poring into shot glasses I get the full Guinness effect. And the extraction is about 22 secs. So whilst Id like MORE KIT!!! I think the dulait, on a budget is very good. Good sized hopper. Its a p[ity you cant grind straight into the PF. There is a switch thing on the hopper because you can adjust the dose which is quite cool.
Ta
Timbo

Back
Top Bottom