Cobra Classic Angle

Perhaps one of the many cobra owners here can give me some advice. I had quite a difficult shave tonight!

Prep was fine but my first pass (three days growth) was with my Cobra using a (few times used) Feather ProGuard. Gosh was it rough! I seemed to be scraping the skin off. Felt awful!

So bad that I put the same blade into my CJB Kamisori for the second and third passes. Much less painful and fewer weepers.

I know I've got the angle wrong. Can someone please advise as best they can the correct angle? I just seem to have lost it!

Thanks in advance,

David

I find the angle pretty intuitive TBH. It's different to a DE, and I'd use the same 'arm hair' technique if you really can't find it (put it on your arm, and raise it until you see it cutting hairs).

What I would say is try using something other than a ProGuard. I've not used one, and maybe the thickness of it doesn't work that well with a Cobra.

I treat it like a DE , rightly or wrongly , I just put the head flat to the skin and tip the head until I hear the blade cutting .
I have never had irritation with the razor and no cut's (so far) ,but, I am very aware of the need for a ultra light touch .
I started with ProGuard's a few week's ago but the last couple of shave's have been with Professional's that I find a tadge smoother than the ProGuard's and not as fearsome as some would have you believe .

Derrick

Check that the blade and the blade carrier are correctly aligned. My Cobra is quite slack in terms of the blade carrier position - so, apart from ensuring that the blade is correctly seated and level with the guard, I also make sure that the carrier is bushed back properly. If it's not, then the blade will be at a completely different angle to your face than it should be.

UKRob said:
Check that the blade and the blade carrier are correctly aligned. My Cobra is quite slack in terms of the blade carrier position - so, apart from ensuring that the blade is correctly seated and level with the guard, I also make sure that the carrier is bushed back properly. If it's not, then the blade will be at a completely different angle to your face than it should be.

I've found with the feather se blades, that if they're left any length of time since their last shave that they seem really rough when next used. Therefore if I start on a feather se blade now I will use it every day until done. Can't explain why this is just my experience. Also I have found a steeper? (Handle more towards the skin) emphasis than a trad de more effective. Am sure you will be redeemed with your next shave with the cobra!

I can't get on at all with the Pro Guards & stick to the Pros. All I can suggest is that you concentrate on not allowing the handle to "creep up" away from your skin. Apart from that I've not had any probs with the Cobra.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

A light touch is the key and don't go over the same area of your face over and over again as it will cause irritation. I use a Feather Pro, Kai Mild or a Dorco Barber blade all very good. The last thing nobody mentions is handling of the blade. Its sometimes tricky placing it in a Cobra so handle with care especially the blade end. They dull out very easily.

slantman said:
A light touch is the key and don't go over the same area of your face over and over again as it will cause irritation. I use a Feather Pro, Kai Mild or a Dorco Barber blade all very good. The last thing nobody mentions is handling of the blade. Its sometimes tricky placing it in a Cobra so handle with care especially the blade end. They dull out very easily.

Where did you source your Dorco Barber blades ? Also I can only find the Kai's for an extortionate price.....

MarkG said:
slantman said:

Where did you source your Dorco Barber blades ? Also I can only find the Kai's for an extortionate price.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorco-Super-Blades-20-pack-for-Feather-Kai-CJB-Sam-Seong-Cobra-Classic-razor-/121155459176?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c356d9868

slantman said:
MarkG said:
slantman said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorco-Super-Blades-20-pack-for-Feather-Kai-CJB-Sam-Seong-Cobra-Classic-razor-/121155459176?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c356d9868

Finally sourced some Dorco blades, will give them a go this weekend. I still find myself reaching for the SA to do my chin but otherwise am getting excellent shaves with feather pro.

Back
Top Bottom