Cleaning Machine

I have a DeLonghi Magnifica that needs the insides descaling every so often. The manufacturer's advice is of course to use their own bottles of fluid but I am hoping that there is a cheaper alternative. I have heard that diluted vinegar is a possibility. I also have some soda crystals which perhaps could be put to good use. Any thoughts on this chaps?

hunnymonster said:
Descaler is usually a citric acid solution... about 50g per litre.... 1kg of citric (food grade) is about £6-7 on eBlag.

If the innards are aluminium you need to half the concentration (so 25g per litre) and keep a close eye on it.

Thanks for the PM. I shall have to make sure I get the concentration right. I'm not sure how to find out what the innards of the machine are made of. :s

Your machine has an aluminium boiler (almost certainly)

Citric acid as above, if you are reassured by packaging then these are better value than bottled descaler.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Descaler-Baby-Puly-Cleaner-Sachets/dp/B002EJ6EHS

antdad said:
Your machine has an aluminium boiler (almost certainly)

Citric acid as above, if you are reassured by packaging then these are better value than bottled descaler.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Descaler-Baby-Puly-Cleaner-Sachets/dp/B002EJ6EHS

Well although that's pricier than the citric acid it is still very good value around 50p a month. Also it does give me more piece of mind. Also my water softener is being fitted next week so the number of times I need to descale should reduce significantly.

Thanks chaps, amazing as ever! :icon_razz:

antdad said:
Erm...softened water usually isn't for drinking PC.

Well done Tony, you spotted my deliberate mistake! :s :blush:

In fact the water from the kitchen taps will not come from the water softener so the situation will be the same as far as the coffee machine is concerned. Monthly descaling. It definitely makes a difference - the steam comes through faster after a wash-through.

I expect your plumber knows fine well but just in case, you need to ensure he fits a 'T' before the mains water goes into the softener and from that 'T' you connect your kitchen cold tap, the garden tap if you have one (plants do not like softened water and any other drinking water taps.

Softened water isn't poison so my bathroom taps are all softened water.

And look forward to smoother shaving!

Oops! too late - but don't forget the outside tap needs to be mains water.

Bechet45 said:
I expect your plumber knows fine well but just in case, you need to ensure he fits a 'T' before the mains water goes into the softener and from that 'T' you connect your kitchen cold tap, the garden tap if you have one (plants do not like softened water and any other drinking water taps.

Softened water isn't poison so my bathroom taps are all softened water.

And look forward to smoother shaving!

Oops! too late - but don't forget the outside tap needs to be mains water.

I've no worries as our plumber/builder is a good friend and very good at his job. He's one of the good guys. I am hoping to use the subject of my new softened water to bring up shaving as a topic of conversation. He's already tried to convert me to Christianity so I think it's my turn to help him see the light!! :icon_razz:

You may want to have a look at fitting a filtering system at the drinking end while you're at it, I can easily tell when it hasn't been and they do seem to reduce water hardness a little.

antdad said:
You may want to have a look at fitting a filtering system at the drinking end while you're at it, I can easily tell when it hasn't been and they do seem to reduce water hardness a little.

Yes I think he may have some plan for that too. Depends a bit on the budget but I do remember him saying something about that.

Dont forget to clean your portafilter and showerscreen as well to get rid of all the old coffee oils, I use this stuff for that

http://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/puro-caff-espresso-machine-cleaner-900g/prod_1707.html?category=258

Also use this stuff for backflushing the machine as well.

Back
Top Bottom