Cleaning / disinfecting a razor...?

AJP

I was wondering what people do when they buy razors from another person to ensure it is clean for use etc. In the past, with no access to industrial sterilisers etc, i have tended to put the razors in a saucepan of boiling water, on the hob and let it boil for a few minutes, followed by a coating of alcohol gel. Will this suffice do you think, or is there any other method i should also consider?

I believe that any nastiness left on a razor should be naturally dead anyway after a relatively short period of time, but am not too sure whether that is also hearsay or truth.

Cheers gents.

I'd be wary about boiling razors. For some of them it is fine, but for others it can damage the finish.

For cleaning, I tend to give a few soaks in warm/hot soapy water for a couple of hours at a time to loosen up any gunk them scrub with a toothbrush. Maybe a spray with bathroom cleaner. For razors that won't be damaged, I use an ultrasonic cleaner to speed the whole process up. Polish up with Maas or another gentle metal polish for a shine.

You're best bet is a bottle of Barbicide for sterilising. Make up the solution according to the instructions, dunk the razors in it for 15 minutes or so and all nasties will be gone. A bottle will last ages.

Let it lie in a solution of vinegar & warm water for a coupla hours, scrub with a toothbrush & soap or washing up liquid, final soak in surgical spirits before rinsing & drying. I believe that some guys use baby sterilsing fluid & of course the serious collectors have also got access to sonic cleaners.

JohnnyO. \ :geek:

I think you should not worry too much, the razor will probably have more nasties on it after one week in your bathroom, then it had when you got it.
(nasties trive in bathroom climate). A lot of people consider alcohol, personally, not a fan of it, it's fine for disinfection porous material (i.e. skin).

I use industrial grade disinfectant, but as mentioned above, beware on what you use, as some can harm the finish. (boiling is not a good idea either in my opinion)
Mix 50/50 boiling hot water and white vinegar at 8%, leave it for 15-20 min you can be pretty sure nothing really harmful is left.

For the cleaning part, soak in above solution, clean with toothbrush/toothpick. rince, repeat etc...

I use an ultrasonic cleaner, it speeds up the process a bit, but there is still a lot of manual work involved.

I usually leave all newly received razors to soak in WU liquid and hot water for a couple of hours, before doing anything with them. (if they're grubby)
Don't soak too long in the vinegar solution. (overnight for ex.), as it can with long exposure, tarnish the plating.

And if you feel like it, I made an offer not long ago on the forum, I'll detail a few razors for a few members here free of cost, just pay for the P&P.
(PM me for details, one per member)

Max

As someone who has cleaned literally HUNDREDS of DE Razors, I would recommend following the steps found in an article we wrote HERE.

aom_thumb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom