Cleaning crud

I've run a razor through the ultrasonic about 15 times with some warm water and a squirt of detergent. That usually does the job with a light scrub but there is still quite a lot of ingrained crud/staining on the knurl. What next?

antdad said:
I've run a razor through the ultrasonic about 15 times with some warm water and a squirt of detergent. That usually does the job with a light scrub but there is still quite a lot of ingrained crud/staining on the knurl. What next?

Depends on the US, I find my pro one works a lot better than a cheap one, but that not being an option, use 50/50 hot water & vinegar mix.
You can do a "bain-marie" like that to keep it hot for a while, then use the same mix in the US.

Max

Try some toothpaste on a old brush..the flouride will help..I know it sounds weird though works everytime for my wife when she polishes up things.

B

Blades said:
Try some toothpaste on a old brush..the flouride will help..I know it sounds weird though works everytime for my wife when she polishes up things.

B

It's actually the silica substrate that does the cleaning action because it's a very mild abrasive... so gel-type toothpastes will be crap for it. Fluoride does nothing to enhance the cleansing properties so the cheapest toothpaste you can lay your hands on fluoridated or not, any flavour you like...

antdad said:

What's doin Tony,

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you're cleaning a silver colored razor and not a gold one. The only thing I'd recommend for gold would be making a thick paste of baking soda and water and rubbing that around with your fingers or a soft bristle brush. I also use Scrubbing Bubbles, which I don't believe you can find there in Limeyland.

Silver colored razors have more options. If the razor's silver plated and badly tarnished, I'll use the old boiling water and baking soda trick, which includes putting the razor in a pan lined with tin foil (shiny side facing up). Sometimes it takes 3-4 times before all the deep crud is removed. I'll also be using a brush and some of that baking soda paste at the pan's bottom to scrub at the razor as well. Then just a rinse and maybe a polish with Maas, and then one last rinse with hot water and dishwashing soap. Heh, then one last rinse with hot water and done deal! Whew.

For the usual nickel plate razors, Scrubbing Bubbles is a good place to start. That won't work for the real nasty crud or stains, but Maas usually will do the trick. It may take some rubbing time, but that stuff can really make a razor shine. The cleaning cloth picks up an amazing amount of black tarnish off the head and handle.

When I send back your razor on loan to me, I'll include a tube of Maas so you can try it yourself. Pretty darn good stuff.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom