Cleaning - before & after pics.

After resisting for a couple of years, I have finally succumbed and bought a couple of vintage gillette razors.

I assume I have got a Gillette old type and a Gillette rocket, would appreciate if someone can confirm? The old type does not have a crack in the handle which I'm sure I have read somewhere is actually quite rare.

Anyway both were a bit grubby so gave them a good clean and polish, very happy with the old type, after doing that one was a bit disappointed the rocket didn't come up as much, still pretty happy though [emoji1]

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458059961.158861.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458059981.917042.jpg

And after:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458060003.927968.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458060023.772741.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458060087.036821.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458060066.077302.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458060048.085179.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458060048.085179.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 15
The Old Types always seem to come up a treat. The crud and grime seems to act as a protective layer.

The second one may well be a Rocket judging by the handle - if the TTO part at the base goes up and down when you turn it then it's a Rocket. Going off the thickness you may well have a HD model which is a very nice razor. If it's around the 70 gram mark then I'd almost certainly say you've got an English HD Rocket.

The second one may well be a Rocket judging by the handle - if the TTO part at the base goes up and down when you turn it then it's a Rocket. Going off the thickness you may well have a HD model which is a very nice razor. If it's around the 70 gram mark then I'd almost certainly say you've got an English HD Rocket.

Yes it does go up and down. It is nice and chunky so guess it probably is a HD rocket, will weight it later. Thanks for that info.

It's a good skill to acquire being able to differentiate between common crud and the symptoms of brassing (copper oxide) and other damage on often poor eBay photos.

I concur with @LeeBot in that this is almost certainly a Rocket HD. The two section neck being another valuable clue. If the weight comes in the mid 50 gramme region then you've got the much rarer aluminium handled version, but I suspect that would have been noticed during cleaning.

Again I must concur with @Gordy in that this razor is indeed a joy to use

Is the old type solid brass or is it plated in some way? Interested as I'm in the process of sculpting a handle which will eventually be cast in brass or bronze and I want a suitable head (although it will have M5 thread).

Is the old type solid brass or is it plated in some way? Interested as I'm in the process of sculpting a handle which will eventually be cast in brass or bronze and I want a suitable head (although it will have M5 thread).

I'm not sure myself to be honest, I assume it is just plated, unfortunately I do not have a magnet to test that. Someone else who knows a lot more about vintage razors would perhaps know.

Please tell more about your sculpted handle? Very interesting project, how far have you got?

I'm not sure myself to be honest, I assume it is just plated, unfortunately I do not have a magnet to test that. Someone else who knows a lot more about vintage razors would perhaps know.

Please tell more about your sculpted handle? Very interesting project, how far have you got?

I normally make things in silver (rings, etc.), but I thought I'd have a go at making a handle. I've only just started it ... I am envisaging a hybrid inspiration of Giger, Lovecraft and a bit of Deco. When it's all done I'll post a picture history. Don't hold your breath though as I hve plenty of other projects on the go. :D

Back
Top Bottom