Cleaning a straight

just wondering what is the best procedure to clean/sterilize and second hand razor. i've purchase one off ebay and one from a member. and just for peace of mind. i would like to treat them.

any surgestions

If it's from eBay, it's probably not "shave ready", so will need to get honed before there is any point in cleaning it.
The one you got of me I cleaned & disinfected before it was posted, you will need to wipe the oil off the blade.

If the other one is shave ready, just wipe it down a few times with alcohol to be sure.

Once wiped with alcohol, do oil the blade after use. (the alcohol removes the protection the oil gives)
Do not soak straights in alcohol, they don't like that, just wipe the blade.

Max

thanks Max.

this is the eBay one I've purchased
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320677172774&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_949">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... _500wt_949</a><!-- m -->
to give me some rotation between the Myers

when you say the wipes is this the same ones like what are first aid box or more stronger

and any particular oil or would 3-in-1 or WD40 do the trick

thank for going to the effort on the one you sold me most appreciated

Hi J4son

I don't think you would get a real disease if you didn't clean it with alcohol, but if you are so concerned about it, I'd think an alcohol based aftershave would do.

With regards to "oil" I use tissue paper with some 3 - 1 on (not much) and just give it a wipe, just to give it a very thin layer.

I only use oil if I am going to store my razor for some considerable time, say over a week or so, but that would depend on many factors like, where you are going to store it, humidity etc .

I don't know what other people do, but this is me.

Happy shaving

I guess you could use wipes from a first aid kit (if they´ve got some kind alcohol/antispetic fluid on them.

Oil, well, I don´t use oil on any of my razors (since I use them now and then), if I where to store them for a looong time I would use camellia oil - but once applied it´s hard to get off. For daily use I use an oil strop, that I finnish the stropping on, it puts a thin oil film on the edge that protects it from air. Seems to work for me. I live in a dry area.

Ralfy had something to say about infections from razors elsewhere recently, and essentially he said it wasn't an issue. Given his day job (tattooist), he probably knows whereof he speaks. Assuming that it's not heavily corroded and free of bloodstains - that's not unknown - you'll probably be fine with one of those antiseptic wipes. Honing will reveal new metal at the edge anyway.

I'm not an oiler either, a greasy strop and air drying works just fine for me.

The blade isn't much of a problem. If it is dry, then most bacteria will only be able to live on it for a few minutes, some for a few hours, remarkably few for even a few days. The part near the pivot isn't much of an issue either - brass self-sanitises in 24-48 hours, killing most things living near it. What bacteria really like are soft, wet surfaces with a food source. Ever taken an old razor apart? It is not uncommon to find a matted mess of bristles, soap scum and other residue - really filthy in some instances. I guess that could hold water for quite a while.

As long as the scales are clean inside and out (don't immerse them in alcohol or any type of solvent - some scales will melt, others will develop a 'frosted' look) and the blade is aired and dry, you shouldn't have a problem. Just leaving it open in an airy place where direct (ie UV) sunlight can get to it will keep it safe.

One interesting study about the use of alcohol showed that up to a point, increasing the amount of alcohol to water had no beneficial effects - in fact, a certain amount of water makes it a more effective germ-buster. Iso-propyl alcohol should be perfect.

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom