Cleaning a non-gold razor - UK/ Britain/ Europe

Re: RE: Cleaning a non-gold razor - UK/ Britain/ Europe

smith said:
nice restoration....someday maybe 30 years from now someone else will be cleaning that razor and it will live on long after were gone...

That's what I really like about this DE shaving lark, it's a continuity of use and preservation for another generation.

Electric toothbrushes work very well too

I didn't see isopropyl alcohol mentioned in this thread. I just took possession of a vintage razor which arrived pretty clean. After giving it a once over in the kitchen sink with the fairy liquid I sponged isopropyl alcohol all over the razor. Then I went at the crevices with a brush and alcohol soaked swabs. Since it was pretty scummy, I simply poured alcohol down the TTO mechanism. At this point I had the razor very clean and after a couple hot water baths figured it was ready for use.

I have no idea if this is a good method, but know isopropyl alcohol can dissolve and clean just about anything you'd find on a razor. I know it's safe for brass and a quick search said it was also safe for chrome. I was still wary enough not to soak it overnight or anything, total exposure was probably < 10 mins but that was enough to break down any scum lurking about the crevices.

I did use some spray IPA that I had lying around from when I pulled a laptop apart but didn't think it really helped much. Perhaps I was too timid with it's use, or perhaps the kind of dirt on it was too thick and/or of the wrong composition.

Do you have any before/after shots of the IPA treated razor? Should it work on virtually any dirt?

I have my after shot in this thread on my new rocket.

I've used it to clean tar and resin from brass pipes. Anything that can clear that can dissolve a bit of soaps scum. I would be careful to check first, but chrome and nickel are okay as well as brass from what I read. If you google you'll commonly find threads on american forums referencing rubbing alcohol which is the same thing.

Two tricks I have learned over the last months:

Soaking a razor in warm/hot (not boiling) water with Steradent Extra Strength for 15 minutes removes a lot of grime.
I actually do this every month or so with all the razors I use on a regular basis, followed by a quick ultrasonic clean - they always look like new afterwards.

The inside of a Schick injector head is best cleaned with a pipe cleaner.

-Andreas

Don't you guys have Barbicide over there? And be careful with the bathroom cleaner. I used our equivalent of it on my Grandfathers black beauty and it messed up the handle. The coating on the aluminum (aluminium) lightened up and even came off in some spots.

Only just seen this thread. I've had my first go at cleaning up a grimy old thing today and was quite pleased.

I've got a Gillette 2 piece which could be a 77 or 88 but given it has no packaging then it's pretty much impossible to tell AFAIK.

1 - Gave it a soak in near boiling water with some Arm & Hammer baking soda
2 - Good going over with a toothbrush
3 - Good rub with some Silvo wadding
4 - Rubbed with a Microfibre cloth
5 - Another rubbing with a jewellery cloth - it had two sheets, one for polish and one for buffing.

Looking through the thread there's definitely easier ways of doing it but would I be right in thinking the Silvo, after a few applications, would really get a nice lustre on the metal? Before and after below....

I'm not too happy with the heavily stained parts near the bottom though so will be giving it another go over with the methods already in this thread.

Thank you, OP! A great job!

I've borrowed the butter tub thing (well, here a soft cheese tub, you do not mind, do you?) though I just use "Fairy" (literally) and an old toothbrush, as a general rule. If needed, I polish the razor (other make here in Spain...) and then the Fairy treatment again.

The only golden vintage razor I tried to clean was a Gillette NEW LC, Oxford set. Well.... it turned out to be a success... until some of the golden plating on the head and baseplate wore off

I usually just use an Ultrasonic cleaner and Maas polish and have achieved great results with these alone. I'm liking the idea of adding Isopropyl Alcohol into the regime - it should (theoretically) work well for dissolving any polish residue as well. I'm going to give it a try on a couple of user grade razors to see how well it works (including a overnight soak).