Cleaning a Gillette Old

I bought a Gillette Old cheaply on ebay and had a go at cleaning it up this afternoon. Here's the results (please bear in mind that this is only the second vintage razor I've cleaned up):

Before
ikpn004.jpg

ikpn006.jpg
ikpn007.jpg

After
ikpn015.jpg
ikpn014.jpg
ikpn011.jpg

The handle is cracked (as I suspected that it might be given that I am led to believe that this a common problem with Ball-end Old's). Does anyone know whether this is due to metal fatigue, over-tightening or another reason?

Also, is cracking likely to occur with other Gillette's fitted with hollow handles (such as Fat-handled Tech's and New's etc), or is the problem limited to Old's?

Finally, I haven't been able to remove all of the verdigris from in between the teeth of the comb. Any ideas on the best way I can go about doing this?

ajc347 said:
I bought a Gillette Old cheaply on ebay and had a go at cleaning it up this afternoon.

...//...

Also, is cracking likely to occur with other Gillette's fitted with hollow handles (such as Fat-handled Tech's and New's etc), or is the problem limited to Old's?

Finally, I haven't been able to remove all of the verdigris from in between the teeth of the comb. Any ideas on the best way I can go about doing this?

The cracking is typical of these razors, it's because they're made with very thin tubeing and 2 end pieces. This is not the case for techs, but it also occurs on NEWs.
It's the handle design that does it.

To clean in between the teeth, nothing better than a toothbrush and toothpaste. (not kidding!) :dodgy:

Hope that helps.

Max

Hey Andy,

It looks pretty good!

If you want me to stick it in my Ultra Sonic, send it over any time mate. I'll only be too happy to help.

Dipesh

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Does the cracking affect all New handles Max, or is it just the Ball-end one?

I'll certainly take you up on that at some stage Dipesh - I was going to ask you if you wanted to give it a try, so that would be perfect. :)

Good stuff. I had a go with some silver polish that got the worst of the grime off but they could do with another go.

I'm thinking about keeping one of the old heads from my Philips Sonicare and using that and the Sonicare for some less conventional ultrasonic cleaning!

I certainly did, apart from the Corrux one as I'm somewhat curiuos about it. :)

I'm not sure what to do with the blade holder though - I've never quite seen the point of them.

Back
Top Bottom