Clay in Shaving Soap?

On the soaping forums it is frequently stated that a shaving soap recipe ought to include clay.

What's the general opinion please?

sunburyboy93 said:
Well one of our other members Sharon. "soapalchemist" uses clay in hers I believe and her soap is that good that's all I use now. So it has my vote ;)
+1, I do use some other ones now and then (I'm new to this game), but if I want something that I'll get on with 100%, I go for Nanny's every time!

Max

Henk, our resident scientific soapmaker, also uses kaolin. Both his soap and Sharon's are exceptional, so it looks like there's something to it - I suspect it's a lubricant.

It´s like the guys say, clay makes it more slippery and for me, that uses cut throats, that´s important. My top soaps comes from Henk and Nanny ... and Cella :shave, who I belive, also have clay in it.

But as Henk says, it´s prob. more to it, otherwhise I´m sure more soaps would be as good as his. :ugeek:

Mikael said:
It´s like the guys say, clay makes it more slippery and for me, that uses cut throats, that´s important. My top soaps comes from Henk and Nanny ... and Cella :shave, who I belive, also have clay in it.

Does Cella contain clay??? If not, what makes it 'slippy'? The high coconut oil content?

sonny said:
Mikael said:

Does Cella contain clay??? If not, what makes it 'slippy'? The high coconut oil content?

Actually it doesn´t, I had to read the ingredient list :shock: Well, it proves Henks point.

No, I don't think it's the clay which makes a soap particularly suitable for use with a cut throat either, it's more to do with the cushioning in my experience. My apologies for this Henk, but for my money Henk's cream is the outstanding medium for DE shaving, but less suitable with a straight. Besides Sharon's, Cella and Wool Fat are the cut throat razor champs in my book.

I've just check my box of clays - the white kaolin has gone AWOL; Bentonite would make a mucky looking soap and as for Rhasoul...

I'm sure that glycerine is the ultimate secret Briallen ................. & feel free to leave all that other "stuff" out !

JohnnyO. (Oops, took that a wee bit far there). :oops:

There's a reasonable %age of glycerine retained in CP/HP soaps - but when I made my first batch of beer soap one of the testers sent me a message asking for another bar as her husband had appropriated the first one for shaving!

When I get a shaving brush I'll test a bar for lather and if it looks reasonable I'll offer some already made pieces for the Gannets (but they won't be round) as a batch from the revipe I'm working on will need to take a week or two to dry.

henkverhaar said:
You're welcome Andy. And I probably know what the difference is...
Phew, got away with it :lol: Care to spill the beans, Henk?
Briallen said:
...I'll offer some already made pieces for the Gannets...
Ooh! I'm not one of the highest flying (or is that fastest diving?) gannets, but I'd very much like to try some of this please.

Back
Top Bottom