Classics

been having a bit of a 'nose' :roll: on basenotes and a few of the old so called classics have taken my fancy
but, having never smelled them are they deserving of the title?

Knize Ten
Dunhill
Canoe
Creed Vetiver
Acqua Di Parma Colonia
etc

any thoughts

i did smell Aramis and didn't like it and neither did the wife
i think i remember trying ADP and think it was way too feminine, i know Tabac has a floral note but in a real manly way if that makes any sense

Of that lot I only know about Acqua di Parma in its Colonia Assoluta version, which is an all time favourite. The perfumier who sells me ruinously expensive perfumes for my wife gives away little sample bottles of it on request (it's almost as if they're pleased to see me), so you could revisit it without shelling out for a full bottle by sweet talking a shop assistant.

It's famously unisex (David Niven and Audrey Hepburn, apparently), and I understand what you mean about it being "feminine" - sort of. It's certainly a light floral / citrus sort of scent to start with, but goes quite woody and spicy as it dries down, definitely well adapted for summer. Anyway, I'm far too big, ugly and world weary to worry what anybody else thinks so long as my wife likes it, and she does.

hando said:
been having a bit of a 'nose' :roll: on basenotes and a few of the old so called classics have taken my fancy
but, having never smelled them are they deserving of the title?

Knize Ten
Dunhill
Canoe
Creed Vetiver
Acqua Di Parma Colonia
etc

any thoughts

Acqua Di Parma is a very nice all rounder, Dunhill is woody in my opinion, but if you want one from your list that has a great history go for Canoe, it was the all time favourite of Richard Kuklinski, the American mafia mass murderer, who became known as the ice man, who always put it on before doing a hit. He said it made him feel nice! lol

i did smell Aramis and didn't like it and neither did the wife
i think i remember trying ADP and think it was way too feminine, i know Tabac has a floral note but in a real manly way if that makes any sense

Aqua di Parma as lovely. I had a sample sent to me as a PIF. Really great. I was fortunate enough to be given a load of cans of the deodorant which is actually a spray pump can of a weaker blend of the cologne at work for a donation to charity. Sometimes airport work has advantages

81eb1942.jpg

d67798ee.jpg

You have to take what people on Basenotes say with a pinch of salt. There's a lot of snobbery over there . . . especially around hard to find / discontinued scents. They will say a scent is a 'must have' in the same way as people on shaving forums will rave about rare razors (Red dots, Red rings, Stickies etc). Aramis Havana and Penhaligon's LP #9 were cropping up in every other thread until they were re-released and now it's gone a bit quiet.

Anyway, I have tried and have owned Aqua Di Parma Colonia and Knize Ten and they are both fully deserving of the title 'Classic' for the simple fact that they are very good and still being produced and sold. I'm talking about the Colonia version of ADP here by the way, not any of the newer 'flankers'. I still own and wear Knize Ten.

The others in your list are well regarded but I've not tried them. The original Dunhill and Creed Vetiver (NOT Original Vetiver - that is something new and boring) being the best of the list but virtually impossible to find . . . Dodgy probably has a drawer full!

There are about 100 scents I think every man should try at least once, Knize Ten and Aqua Di Parma Colonia are on the list.

Only one I've tried on that list is Canoe. On me it smelt like the kinda fragrance an upmarket store may pump through its air conditioning under the illusion that's a classy practise. It really was rather rank. Although since scents can react according to skin types ymmv.

JohnnyO.

I was able to try the AdP at a local ladies store that had a shelf for blokes. AdP was the only thing on it. Smells like perfume to me, too soft and floral.

But then, I'll happily wear Brut. So long as you don't bath in it, it's nice and blokey.

Tabac (yes, more cheap stuff!) and Trumpers Sandalwood is as floral as I can handle, and the Trumpers is more a creamy vanilla anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom