Chrome Vs Stainless

Right, lets pretend that I don't know sweet FA about metallurgy.....

I have noticed that I have been receiving much more comfortable shaves from Shark Super Stainless blades than I have with any other blades I have been using recently.

This got me thinking the other night. Almost every other blade I've been using has been some variation on Chrome (super chrome, platinum chrome etc etc).

In fact with the exception of Feathers (hi-stainless) everything else I've tried has been chrome.

Shark stainless seem to provide me with effortless shaves.

Is there any real reason (other than in my head) that I'd be receiving better shaves from a stainless blade than from a chrome blade?

I think it depends on your facial hair..mine is really coarse so I palm strop my single edge stainless steel blades about 40 laps..much less tugging and pulling..though you might want to try Chrome Platinum coated blades if you want to compare..the thicker your hair..the more the blade has to "plow" through...you can thank you genetics!... :lol:

Blades

Enjoy your smoother blades!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogq4wfpT7hc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogq4wfpT7hc</a><!-- m -->

Blades (me)

Blades are you saying you do that 40 times for each side of each edge? I.e. 160 strokes altogether? Seems a bit much.

Hmm, this is probably just a matter of semantics, because stainless steel by definition has a minimum chromium content of 10.5% to qualify as such (according to British Standards). Percentages can go much higher than that.

umm..no no...just lap 20x on each side..but go as you feel necessary..thats what I do ;)
Some blades have a harsher grind so YMMV with palm laps..some more..some less..some..use em outta the wrapper!..those are a bit rare for me..if you can find early 1900's DE wrappers..they actually have small direction on how to palm strop!..very cool... :idea:

Blades

Arrowhead said:
Hmm, this is probably just a matter of semantics, because stainless steel by definition has a minimum chromium content of 10.5% to qualify as such (according to British Standards). Percentages can go much higher than that.

I think the 'chrome', 'platinum', etc. in the 'name' of a blade denotes (or at least suggests) a (galvanic) coating rather than a steel composition - at least that's how I always read it...

And originally, stainless steels would be 'softer' than carbon steels, so less sharp, and less durable. With modern alloys, this is no longer the case, but I don't know whether you can make DE razor blades from those alloys (like 440C, AUS10, and the likes).

henkverhaar said:
I think the 'chrome', 'platinum', etc. in the 'name' of a blade denotes (or at least suggests) a (galvanic) coating rather than a steel composition - at least that's how I always read it...

i'd agree with that
i read that with the Lord blades the Platinum and the Super Chrome have the same coatings but the Super Stainless didn't
obviously the SS has a coating but a different kind, the Plat & SC being superior

if you can get by with the 'inferior' and cheaper blades all the better

Blades said:
Enjoy your smoother blades!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogq4wfpT7hc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogq4wfpT7hc</a><!-- m -->

Blades (me)

Bloody hell there is NO way I'm going to try that not with my clutzy fingers!

hando said:
henkverhaar said:

i'd agree with that
i read that with the Lord blades the Platinum and the Super Chrome have the same coatings but the Super Stainless didn't
obviously the SS has a coating but a different kind, the Plat & SC being superior

if you can get by with the 'inferior' and cheaper blades all the better
Cheaper blades seem to work better for me in terms of irritation/soreness.
The most comfortable blades for me are the Supermax stainless (blue packet), which I believe is just PTFE coated, and the Astra super stainless (same, I think).
Derbies irritate me badly, and Astra Keramics to a lesser extent, and these both use ceramic coatings. The Derbies have "Chromium, Platinum, Tungsten, Ceramic, Polymer" coatings so perhaps for some people there might be something about galvanising with multiple or certain kinds of metals that can cause skin problems?

I have tried one uncoated blade - the Treet black beauties - and they produce no irritation whatsoever (the only blade never to have done so for me).

I'm beginning to think there may be something in this, only blade that hasn't caused irritation is the feather but it does leave me a little raw if I put too much pressure on, going to have to investigate this further With some stainless blades.

Yeah, maybe for some of us there is something in it.

Let me know how you get on and any conclusions you reach as I'm interested in this too.

I had a go at palm stropping just to get comfortable with the idea. Will do this with some of the rougher blades to see if this helps. Thanks blades for the link

Back
Top Bottom