Choosing a Gillette.

I've just been thinking that it may be time for me to try a Gillette razor as I've solely used a Merkur HD for the past couple of years or so and before that a plethora of disposables. I am happy with the HD though the old saying a "change is as good as a rest" comes to mind at the moment. As I haven't fully decided on a straight as yet I'd like to try a Gillette. So any thoughts on choice? I know there's "horses for courses" as they say and many of you gents have a weapon of choice. So please let me know why you have decided on a particular Gillettte [or two]. Your help and advice will be most welcome, Adam.

I have a 1920 gold Tech Ball razor/1956 TTO SuperSpeed/1930's open-comb Gillette from England/GEM-Treet with thick black handle...my TTO is my "goto" razor but a few times a week I will go to the others..just for variation..my first razor was a 23c...great starter razor..but it didnt work well with alot of my sample blades at the time...a majority of my razors were gifts from various shave sites in the past..and I gave a similar gift back in return..so thats my story...get to give back... :shave

Blades

I started off with a 33C. While it was good, I always wondered what all the fuss was about using a vintage Gillette.

Then Fido posted up with his razor sale and I thought I may as well give it a go.

I was wowed. Merkur gone. Now I have a few super speeds and a fee adjustables. I love them all!

I think for now there will be no more acquisitions as I have tried a few and found my preferences and like my razors mild.

If you fancy trying a Flairtip rocket I've got a lovely one up for grabs. I warn you though, it's a slippery slope. These things have so much character that everyone is different so you may end up like me having a few that are the same (bangs head against the wall!)

Like most I started with a Merkur 34HD and then started to collect Gillettes.
Top of the list are my flair tips (either S/S or Rocket) The Red Tip being my "go to" razor. The HD500 and Paper Clip Rockets are a very close second.
But they all have their own characteristics if you have one you want to try post in the WTB section on here and you might find someone will lend you one?

Think the 34HD is off to a new home soon, but we will see......... :D

Hi Adam,

I can tell you what Gillettes work best for me, but it may not be the same in your case. Strangely enough, the various types don't perform or fit the same, so you gotta try em yourself. Heh, you probably knew that anyway.

If you like a little more bite, then go with an open comb. Some of those aren't much more aggressive than a straight bar, but others are a lot more.

Most popular Gillette models are the superspeeds, Techs, and adjustables. Pick one that looks good and give it a try for a while, and then sample the others at some point. That's the only way you'll find the right ones.

Most Gillettes will give me a good to very good shave. A few have too much bite, but most of em are set about the same on the Gillette adjustable scale (around 5-6). It doesn't mean they all shave the same though, because they sure don't. I can use some of those and get a very good shave, and those are my change of pace razors. There's only one model though that is an exact perfect fit, and that's the go to regular tool of choice.

Right now I have a few too many razors and would possibly sell a couple. You're welcome to use the pm feature if you have a particular type in mind, and maybe I have one laying around the arsenal.

Good luck with that particularly nasty rabbit hole you're about to slide down,

Martin

Thanks gents, I've been looking around and just like you say the superspeeds, Techs, and adjustables seem to be the popular choices. So far I like the look of the Superspeeds/Rocket, though obviously that's just eyeing up shaving candy! Really, I don't know, I fancied a Merkur slant though seeing the price of the Gillette equivalent [as in the slant bar, not the performance] I nearly fainted! So maybe time for a little more homework.

Frankly, I've yet to come across a Gillette which I haven't liked. On account of the all round user friendliness and excellent performance my choice would be any of the non adjustable Superspeed / Rocket family.

I was in a similar position wanting to try a Gillette so I picked up a S/S in the BST. It is a nice razor but in my opinion, does not come close to my brand new EJ.

Does it have to be a Gillette? At the minute I am trying an Ever Ready SE. So far I am also liking that better than the Gillette as well.

Parwin said:
I was in a similar position wanting to try a Gillette so I picked up a S/S in the BST. It is a nice razor but in my opinion, does not come close to my brand new EJ.

Hiya,

You need to try more razors, not to enable you or anything. Those superspeeds don't fit everyone, but maybe a Tech or Slim or fatboy will be the magical one for you. Personally, I'd go back to my injector if forced to used the superspeed DE only. Hehe, the fatboy is magical though.......

Try lots more razors,

Martin

dodgy said:
Parwin said:

Hiya,

You need to try more razors, not to enable you or anything. Those superspeeds don't fit everyone, but maybe a Tech or Slim or fatboy will be the magical one for you. Personally, I'd go back to my injector if forced to used the superspeed DE only. Hehe, the fatboy is magical though.......

Try lots more razors,

Martin

Good point Martin. I think it is maybe the weight of the S/S I don't like so much.

Parwin said:
dodgy said:
Parwin said:
Good point Martin. I think it is maybe the weight of the S/S I don't like so much.

Hi there,

Well, it's an odd thing about the weight. There's razors like a Tech for example that can weigh more or less than a superspeed, and both Techs fit me very well. There's others like some Old Types that can weigh even less, and those shave totally different from the other ones in that weight. Heh, I hate those bloodsucking vampire razors.

I have just never gotten on with superspeeds, except for the red tip which isn't bad. No idea if it's the balance or head design, or maybe both. I prefer a head weighted razor for balance and performance rather than having a handle heavy version. For whatever the reason, a superspeed just feels kinda blah in my hand.

The heavy head on a fatboy for example takes one variable out of play, which is always a great feature. I don't care to have to worry about how much pressure to apply, which can be especially important to get right, especially when using an aggressive razor.

Most superspeeds are a puzzlement to me,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom