cheapest/best way to go on-line (at church)

Hi All

Here's hoping you can help me with a little question: I want to be able to go on-line at my church office. I have a standard BT phone line and a Macbook but only really work there a few hours a week as I do most of my stuff at home. So it's not for long hours surfing nor for serious amounts of downloading: just emails and updating the Google calendar once or twice a week.

Am I right in thinking that a pay-as-you-go dongle would be the best way? If so, which one?

Cheers lads,

Ollie

jesusmac.jpg

If it really is just for emails (you can write off line) and updating calender there seem to be plenty of dial up services available.

At 1p/min that sort of thing, not tried them but that is what I'd look to use.

Check small print though.

Rev-O said:
Am I right in thinking that a pay-as-you-go dongle would be the best way? If so, which one?

Check the coverage of their 3G networks there if you can first, using a handset rather than relying on the networks' own predictors... which are a work of fiction.

Then I would rank them in this order in terms of the service from the network:

Orange
Vodafone (worse performance than Orange, even though they share 3G network with Orange)
T-mobile (shite, even though they share 3G network with 3)
O2 (really, just don't go there)

I use a 3 PAYG dongle for my backup connection in case BT cock up a transparent software update again and I'm very happy with it. Check out Argos - they often have a dongle bundled with a tenner of airtime for under £20. Obviously the cheapness of the dongle is immaterial if there's no service.

With the dongles they have a time limit on using the amount to data transfer you've bought. Vodaphone used to do one that didn't expire (but was dearer) but they seem to have stopped - I have one but when I finally use up the 1gb that came with it I don't know if I will be able to top up on the same basis.

Have you tried searching for unsecured wireless networks. If you can find one in range the price is zero.
If you are looking for something permanent Plus net are doing 10GB broad band for 6.49 a month with up to an 8MB speed.
This also goes for anyone here that is a plus net customer already. i have been with them from the start and was paying £14 a month for a 2GB package. rung them and now pay 6.49 for a 10GB package.

Alas the Early English chapel of ease (c. 1250) was rebuilt and enlarged in 1821, but there's some old floor and timbers.

Tower, too. You can see it all on Google maps.

Back
Top Bottom