Castle Forbes creams reformulated

rum

Given the popularity of these creams, I thought you'd all appreciate hearing about a recent shopping experience of mine.

Whilst out shopping recently, I noticed a different type of box laid out on the Castle Forbes table at Fortnum & Mason. Upon closer inspection it appears that not only the box has changed (I know they recently changed their packaging, but this appears to be a second change to packaging), but a key ingredient has been removed from the famous shaving creams. The new box is clearly labelled "PARABEN FREE" and it would appear from the ingredients list on the reverse side that there are indeed no parabens in the product. I understand that this ingredient tends to be off-putting to many (myself included), as this is a common ingredient in "canned-goo".

I was able to compare the ingredients of the new pack (the 200ml version) with an older travel sized pack (50ml?). The ingredients varied quite a bit, so it looks like they've definitely changed. Unfortunately, I was unable to take any photos or to note all the ingredients down...

Nonetheless, the salesman at the store had no idea they had reformulated, neither did he notice the additional writing on the box, so I presume this is fairly new. I do know that this particular store is one of very few "brick" stores (i.e. non-internet based stores) that stock more or less the entire CF range. They had no samples to give out, as usual.

As I said, perhaps this has already been posted here; if it has, apologies.

Don't parabens contribute to creames lasting longer on the shelf?..extending shelflife..reminds of MSG in chinese food!... :lol: :lol:
Luckily its been virtually unused here in the states for sometime

B

Some people have reported allergies with parabens in the past, but then again some people are also allergic to lanolin, tallow and so on...

Blades said:
Don't parabens contribute to creames lasting longer on the shelf?..extending shelflife..reminds of MSG in chinese food!... :lol: :lol:

B

Are you sure? MSG is mainly used as a flavour enhancer so I'd be surprised if the US wasn't actually the largest consumer of it.

"There are no comprehensive data on the number of such products on the market, but information from the summer, 2010 salmonella outbreak in the United States points to the extent to which MSG is hidden in food, i.e., there were 177 products containing hydrolyzed vegetable protein recalled from Basic Food Flavors, Inc., just one manufacturer.

Use of MSG in food has grown in the last 30 years and is still growing. MSG is found in most soups, salad dressings, processed meats, frozen entrees, ice cream, and frozen yogurt, in some crackers, bread, canned tuna, and very often in "low fat" and "no fat" foods to make up for flavor lost when fat is reduced or eliminated. It can be found in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and dietary supplements. It is found in enteral feeding products and in infant formula. It is found in vaccines -- including vaccines used on children. It is found in hospitals where it is hidden in the jello, chicken soup, and some I V solutions given to very sick patients. Its use is without restriction."

OK, I was able to grab some phone pics of a box of the C&S new formulation. The pics are attached - the first shows the ingredients list (which is obviously different to the old formulation), whereas the latter is the front of the box showing the words "Paraben Free" (in small letters, just below the words "Shaving Cream").

Attachments

• IMG00006-20110125-1805.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 117
  • IMG00007-20110125-1806.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 114
Looks like a perfectly adequate, if industrial, shaving cream ingredients list to me. And no, parabens are not dangerous, they are used in cosmetics as general anti-bacterial/anti-fungal preservatives (without which creams and lotions wouldn't last two weeks in use before going off), most effective alternatives are more dangerous (or better, less benign), and most 'green' alternatives are not effective. Parabens occur in nature, primarily in plants, where they act as anti-fungals also, and maybe as anti-predation substances. Soaps do in fact not need preservatives, and shaving creams probably also not. Anhydrous (or almost anhydrous) products like soap do not promote microbial growth, and the high alkalinity of soaps and soft soaps is not particularly conducive to spoilage also. Shaving creams, with their higher water content can probably be considered borderline, but should still have an in-use shelf life of 6-12 months without preservatives.

antdad said:
Blades said:

B

Are you sure? MSG is mainly used as a flavour enhancer so I'd be surprised if the US wasn't actually the largest consumer of it.

"There are no comprehensive data on the number of such products on the market, but information from the summer, 2010 salmonella outbreak in the United States points to the extent to which MSG is hidden in food, i.e., there were 177 products containing hydrolyzed vegetable protein recalled from Basic Food Flavors, Inc., just one manufacturer.

Use of MSG in food has grown in the last 30 years and is still growing. MSG is found in most soups, salad dressings, processed meats, frozen entrees, ice cream, and frozen yogurt, in some crackers, bread, canned tuna, and very often in "low fat" and "no fat" foods to make up for flavor lost when fat is reduced or eliminated. It can be found in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and dietary supplements. It is found in enteral feeding products and in infant formula. It is found in vaccines -- including vaccines used on children. It is found in hospitals where it is hidden in the jello, chicken soup, and some I V solutions given to very sick patients. Its use is without restriction."
Man,dont tell me about MSG:it gives me the worst stomach aches every time I eat something with that crap on it...
Back to the point,whats the different between the new and the old formulation,just the parabens or have they taken away or adding more ingredients to the formula?
OK,I just check it,nevermind.

Back
Top Bottom