Cassia peppermint

Hi,

I received few soaps from lisa and I had to write this review after trying them.

she had mentioned before that it was her first try at making soap so I thought I would try it out and let her know if there was any issues via a pm. But this is so amazing that it deserves a standing ovation and a review section in this amazing forum.

This is the first soap review I am doing and I hope I dont screw up

1) Smell: It is accurate and mild. I had the soap out of its cover and my wife could tell me in a jiffy that the soap is peppermint and it is lovely (Maybe that is a ladies thingy identifying smell) but I was impressed. A very nice a subtle smell. You get the lovely smell of peppermint but without enveloping you and the entire bathroom with the smell

2) Texture: This is a very soft soap (Like nanny's) and I did not have any problem at all to put it in a mug. Just a few presses from my thumb and it was sitting snug in the bottom of the mug.

3) Lather Production: Used my Omega 49 on this and I came to know how much lather an Omega can make. The lather was full on the bown and the brush was fully loaded for multiple passes. I had swirled hardly for 15 seconds (half of what I would have loaded usually). A newbie who gets it is gonna think that he has mastered the art of lathering because the soap is too good,

4) Lather cushioning and slickness: The lather was pretty thick that after applyng I could make out the difference when I was shaving. Pretty good cushioning. Amazing slickness too. I had to smear a lot of alum on my fingers to stretch the skin as the skin was so slippery after the lathering making the razor just glide. (I guess you can reduce the pressure u give to the razor by 10% if u use this soap)

5) Effect on skin: The soap did mention it had tallow and maybe it is the reason that after the shave I felt my skin so smooth. Or maybe the slant was nice to me today. It moisturises you properly. I have not used the MWF till now but if it moisturizes the skin like this soap than it would be a good product.

Conclusion

WINNER WINNER WINNER in all forms. I think I know where I am going for all my soaps from now on. :heart: :heart: :heart:

PS: If this is Lisa's first creation I cant wait to see how it would be when she nails it completly.

RE: Cassia pepperming

What a great review, I can tell your really excited about this. I'm normally a cream kind of guy, but you have me tempted here I may have to try some of this.

Where can I get this from

All the best

Here's my review:

Positives: the brush (NF 2213) loaded very easily with a touch more water than I'd use for triple-milled soaps (albeit I soak those and didn't do so with this, as it's much softer than the soaps I'm used to) On working the brush onto my face, the lather built incredibly easily, given how hard my water is. It took very little water to build loads of thick, dense lather. Another positive was the aroma, which is still as nice as it seemed at first, and the fact that, despite the strength of that aroma, I felt only a very slight tingle on my upper lip (the most sensitive part of my face) at the end of my third and final pass. That's compared to, for example, Taylor of Old Bond Street Lemon and Lime cream, which my face took exception to due to (I think) the the lime oil, when I experienced burning even as I got going on the first pass.

Negatives: although the lather had superb cushion, on bringing the razor (Gillette Slim adjustable with Feather blade) to my face, I found the lather was a touch sticky and didn't let the razor glide quite as well as I expected. I dipped the brush and reworked the lather, which did the trick; however, when I relathered for the second pass I found the lather in the brush had become thin and weak. I reloaded from the soap and this solved the problem; however, the same thing happened when I came to reapply for the third pass. I used the lather without reloading the brush to see if it was affected, and, although lubrication was very good, the thin coat didn't provide much cushion; I could feel the blade more than normal with that razor/blade combination and I got one small weeper.

Conclusions: Given that I'm one of the most likely here to find any soap hard to lather because of the hardness of my water, the fact that it was the quickest-lathering soap I've tried suggests to me that there's no need to adjust the balance in that direction. If anything, I'd suggest a slight adjustment towards greater stability might be a good experiment to try; however, my experience and impressions may well be very different to other members. My main criticism of an otherwise excellent and gorgeous-smelling soap is that the sweet spot of soap:water ratio seems a bit narrow to me. Too little water is deceptive as the soap lathers profusely and feels slick with the brush on the face, but shows a lack of lubrication when shaving; but only a relatively small adjustment seems to solve the lubrication issue, but leaves the lather lacking body and cushion.

trainman said:
The title of the original post calls it "Pepperming",and it still gets a glowing review,brilliant.

Dave.

Thanks for pointing out that mate changed....

I also was fortunate enough to be chosen to review these soaps....

Now I like Tallow soaps, almost to the exclusion of all else....But the Lavender & Tea Tree, to me was lacking somewhat in the scent department...maybe a little bit too Tallowish in smell....The Lavender scent being very faint and the Tea Tree I couldn't smell at all....though perhaps that was just my sample..........Performance wise it is a very good shaving soap...

The Peppermint and Tallow....now that was REALLY EXCELLENT...the scent was mild...(not a bad thing for me personally, as I'm not a big fan of the after glow of Mint or Menthol soaps)...........But I would buy this soap just as it is.

The lather though plentiful, was not quite as dense say as MWF....But then the Santa Claus effect is largely cosmetic to my mind anyway,so long as the lubricity is good and this is very slippery stuff.... The cushion and lubrication of this soap is top notch....up there with the very best of them, so much so that I had to check my razor,to make sure the adjustment hadn't slipped back a notch, so mild was the shave.....( I've never had to check the adjustment mid shave before )..................And the shave?....... Babies Bum Smooth....NO irritation,NO burn,NO adverse effects of any kind....just SMOOOOOOOTH...

I used the same Razor (Merkur Futur set at 2.5 and Blade (Gillette Yellow) combination throughout the test)

If you get the opportunity to buy this soap....don't hesitate......I already have my name down for some...Or I hope I have..................Haven't I Lisa????

A GREAT PEPPERMINT & TALLOW SOAP

GOLDCREST said:
I also was fortunate enough to be chosen to review these soaps....

Now I like Tallow soaps, almost to the exclusion of all else....But the Lavender & Tea Tree, to me was lacking somewhat in the scent department...maybe a little bit too Tallowish in smell....The Lavender scent being very faint and the Tea Tree I couldn't smell at all....though perhaps that was just my sample..........Performance wise it is a very good shaving soap...

The Peppermint and Tallow....now that was REALLY EXCELLENT...the scent was mild...(not a bad thing for me personally, as I'm not a big fan of the after glow of Mint or Menthol soaps)...........But I would buy this soap just as it is.

The lather though plentiful, was not quite as dense say as MWF....But then the Santa Claus effect is largely cosmetic to my mind anyway,so long as the lubricity is good and this is very slippery stuff.... The cushion and lubrication of this soap is top notch....up there with the very best of them, so much so that I had to check my razor,to make sure the adjustment hadn't slipped back a notch, so mild was the shave.....( I've never had to check the adjustment mid shave before )..................And the shave?....... Babies Bum Smooth....NO irritation,NO burn,NO adverse effects of any kind....just SMOOOOOOOTH...

I used the same Razor (Merkur Futur set at 2.5 and Blade (Gillette Yellow) combination throughout the test)

If you get the opportunity to buy this soap....don't hesitate......I already have my name down for some...Or I hope I have..................Haven't I Lisa????

A GREAT PEPPERMINT & TALLOW SOAP

My sample of lavender and tea tree has a lovely aroma - I don't know what tallow smells like by itself, but, to me, the sample I received is very aromatic.

shamreez said:
Hi,

I received few soaps from lisa and I had to write this review after trying them.

she had mentioned before that it was her first try at making soap so I thought I would try it out and let her know if there was any issues via a pm. But this is so amazing that it deserves a standing ovation and a review section in this amazing forum.

1) Smell: It is accurate and mild. I had the soap out of its cover and my wife could tell me in a jiffy that the soap is peppermint and it is lovely (Maybe that is a ladies thingy identifying smell) but I was impressed. A very nice a subtle smell. You get the lovely smell of peppermint but without enveloping you and the entire bathroom with the smell

2) Texture: This is a very soft soap (Like nanny's) and I did not have any problem at all to put it in a mug. Just a few presses from my thumb and it was sitting snug in the bottom of the mug.

3) Lather Production: Used my Omega 49 on this and I came to know how much lather an Omega can make. The lather was full on the bown and the brush was fully loaded for multiple passes. I had swirled hardly for 15 seconds (half of what I would have loaded usually). A newbie who gets it is gonna think that he has mastered the art of lathering because the soap is too good,

4) Lather cushioning and slickness: The lather was pretty thick that after applyng I could make out the difference when I was shaving. Pretty good cushioning. Amazing slickness too. I had to smear a lot of alum on my fingers to stretch the skin as the skin was so slippery after the lathering making the razor just glide. (I guess you can reduce the pressure u give to the razor by 10% if u use this soap)

5) Effect on skin: The soap did mention it had tallow and maybe it is the reason that after the shave I felt my skin so smooth. Or maybe the slant was nice to me today. It moisturises you properly. I have not used the MWF till now but if it moisturizes the skin like this soap than it would be a good product.

Conclusion

WINNER WINNER WINNER in all forms. I think I know where I am going for all my soaps from now on. :heart: :heart: :heart:

PS: If this is Lisa's first creation I cant wait to see how it would be when she nails it completly.

i found the scent the same, i wasn't expecting it to smell like peppermint tea though

maybe its because of the hard water but, when i first tried it last night

i was trying to load the brush for 5mins and not much compared to how much i normally get.

on the second pass i just chucked everything in the sink, made sure brush and soap were submerged,

i held the soap bowl upside down and continued to load that way without shaking any water off, it latherd not that bad when i did it this way.

i did find i didn't get as much irritation as normal though which is nice and surprising.

overall i enjoyed the soap, its difficult to lather so people first starting out may get frustrated and grab something infinity easier to lather, e.g. palm olive or some cream

shanky887614 said:
shamreez said:
Hi,

Conclusion

i found the scent the same, i wasn't expecting it to smell like peppermint tea though

maybe its because of the hard water but, when i first tried it last night

i was trying to load the brush for 5mins and not much compared to how much i normally get.

on the second pass i just chucked everything in the sink, made sure brush and soap were submerged,

i held the soap bowl upside down and continued to load that way without shaking any water off, it latherd not that bad when i did it this way.

i did find i didn't get as much irritation as normal though which is nice and surprising.

overall i enjoyed the soap, its difficult to lather so people first starting out may get frustrated and grab something infinity easier to lather, e.g. palm olive or some cream

That's weird, I have very hard water and found the peppermint version lathered easily.

might be my brush chris.

it was more a problem of loading the brush than making lather.

will have to get a new brush to see as it might have been my brush

(mine has really started to lose hairs at a phenomenal rate now)

shanky887614 said:
might be my brush chris.

it was more a problem of loading the brush than making lather.

will have to get a new brush to see as it might have been my brush

(mine has really started to lose hairs at a phenomenal rate now)

Sounds as though a new brush is in order. I also found that leaving the brush a touch wetter seemed to help.

Back
Top Bottom