Car radio cassette players

About 20 years ago a local car hi fi store was selling off radio cassette players, I bought a couple of Kenwoods because I had two 1990s cars and I wanted something close to correct and Iike listening to the radio, not that I got around to fitting them.

Just looking at online prices for them and they are now big bucks.

Do people still use cassettes?

About 20 years ago a local car hi fi store was selling off radio cassette players, I bought a couple of Kenwoods because I had two 1990s cars and I wanted something close to correct and Iike listening to the radio, not that I got around to fitting them.

Just looking at online prices for them and they are now big bucks.

Do people still use cassettes?
Naw

Not sure if anyone seriously still uses cassettes. Maybe some real old folk or some kids on a hipster trip perhaps. Unlike vinyl cassettes had little technical merit, but they were the only way you could copy music back then, and cheap. Apparently home taping was going to kill music. Yeah right! Reminds me of the skull cassette and crossbones printed on the inner sleeve of records. They tried to add a copyright levy to the price of blank tapes.

I still have all mine from my youth, and a player in my system, but I never play them. One, the sound quality was poor at the time and demagnetisation and print-through won't have helped. Two, some memories are best left as memories. Listening to those tunes now would either be disturbing or just burst a bubble.

Kenwood were always respected for car stereos, as were Blaupunkt and (?) Alpine.

Tape no. Vinyl is a real pleasure, I can't put my finger on it but there's something about the sound, plus the whole engagement with the 12" album art, sitting and listening attentively, it adds a sense of occasion. Then again I have invested quite a lot in vinyl replay so I extract as much as possible. I have an Innuos for streaming and all my CDs and downloads are ripped to it too. It sounds great but it's very convenience robs it of something and I find myself browsing the forum while I listen to it. That said, the convenience also means I use the innuos a lot more than I spin the TT.

I can remember buying a jazz lp, perhaps Red Norvo, and the sound was amazing, when the cd came out it was just cold and clinical.

Spoke to my daughter about cassettes and cassette players, it is just a niche collecting thing with certain pre recorded cassettes being highly prized.

...and having to clean the rubber drive wheels and the heads, storage drawers in cars, not to mention the thieves who broke into cars to steal the radio cassette. I even heard of pubs who would take a radio cassette in exchange for a pint of beer.

Back
Top Bottom