Can the brush actually make a difference?

Can the brush actually make a difference to the shave?

I mean, could it be that badger brushes agree with my face and boars don't?

Excellent shaves when using badgers and par to sub par shaves with boar?

It is the brush or is it probably more to do with the lather generated by the brush?

Both brush and technique...it's just easier to generate good lather with badger hair, you need to adjust your technique when using the boar.

More soap, water and agitation is required.

A great shave is about getting everything right, and - really enjoying it. So sound technique in using your brush is essential to creating and applying great quality lather.There are big differences between shaving brushes. Some are easier to use and more effective than others. You will get magnificent lather and a perfect shave using a good quality boar brush. The same goes for good quality badger brushes. The better badger brushes are much more luxurious - and you pay for it. You will enjoy your shave more, but it won't be any closer or smoother than you get with a decent boar brush.

Mainly brush IMO. Your technique can compensate only to some extent the inferior water retention of boar hair. Especially when bowl lathering soft creams, a badger is just the better tool.

Frederick said:
Mainly brush IMO. Your technique can compensate only to some extent the inferior water retention of boar hair. Especially when bowl lathering soft creams, a badger is just the better tool.

I would agree with that.

In terms of the actual shave - no. As long as your lather and technique are good, your shave should be a good one. You can get excellent lather with both badger and boar, with the right technique. Unless of course you have really sensitive skin and really go at it with a overly scrubby and dense brush. This will make your skin sore and by the end of the shave very irritated.

The difference a brush makes is how easily/quickly the quality lather is generated, and how comfortable it is to your face.

The only problem I've found with boar, is that in a multi-pass shave, the lather in the brush for final passes is weaker and you'll sometimes have to return to the puck to get a good lather going again. Less so with badger. I guess this is what "water retention" means and why it's seen as a good thing. If you continue to shave with the dregs of the lather (at this point likely ATG) you'll risk problems. Again, badger seems a bit better in this regard.

I use and enjoy both! :)

John

I think it really can make or break a shave, initially all my efforts were concentrated around razors and blades and I have found the combinations that work well for me. Although I still do a little experiment with a new combination from time to time I am pretty settled on the blades and razors front. Once I got that right I have been working on understanding how the brush and soap (and technique) affects the shave.

I have had great shaves with both expensive and cheap brushes (both boar and badger but not tried horse yet...). The main difference I notice is how much I enjoy using them, 90% is technique but even well practiced techniques to build a good lather can go wrong for a whole host of reasons.

I agree with Fido, a great shave is about getting all the elements right and enjoying the whole experience, like a chain it is only as strong as it's weakest link. A good blade will not compensate for crap soap mix and good soap mix will not protect you from razor burn if you have at it like a butcher in a bad mood.

I personally find badger easier to work with and more luxurious to use, it is a preference not a rating or scoring. I have proved to myself that I can get a fantastic lather with boar but I know that I just enjoy a good 2 band badger brush and have a growing collection of them, each with their own personalities and requirements to get the best out of them.

For some this trial and error is a pain but for me it is that voyage of discovery that is the fun part.

I tend to agree here that the Brush dictates shave performance only indirectly via the quality of the Lather you make.
You need to adjust Lather making technique depending on soap / cream and brush type.

I use Boar only for Soaps due to the poor performance with creams, and whilst i prefer the badger in general i do like the feel of the stiffer bristle on the skin occasionally.

Attero said:
I tend to agree here that the Brush dictates shave performance only indirectly via the quality of the Lather you make.
You need to adjust Lather making technique depending on soap / cream and brush type.

I use Boar only for Soaps due to the poor performance with creams, and whilst i prefer the badger in general i do like the feel of the stiffer bristle on the skin occasionally.

You like a bit of rough then? ;) clearly I am too soft and like it gentle.

Audiolab said:
Attero said:

You like a bit of rough then? ;) clearly I am too soft and like it gentle.

I only recently moved to boar from a nail brush .. Now thats exfoliation for you! Gets rid of all that pesky skin. :lol:

If you are using a really stiff boar or a clipped one and really giving yourself a decent face massage it could be that this is making your skin unduley tender before you start shaving. This coupled with a less than decent lather could = sore coupon.

I find that boars are "floppier" or more forgiving if they are soaked while I am in the shower rather than if I put it into soak after a shower. I also find if I shave in the evening my skin does not feel as good after a shave as it does if I shave in the morning. I forget the reason for this......Hopefully someone will chime in in due course.

If your boar is relatively new you can speed up the break in process by drying it with a hair dryer after your shave. This accelerates the split ends & this not only improves the brushes performance, it makes it softer on the face. I have also noticed on some boars there are some thicker bristles in the brush, these could be giving you a bit of curry too. If I see any I clip them off closer to the knot.

Or maybe you are a badger lad.

Back
Top Bottom