Can Somebody Give Me Some Hope?

Currently on my 3rd attempt at mastering the straight razor, and although things are better than my last 2 attempts, I'm still disappointed with the progress and results.

For example, this morning I used my Kropp 5/8, and on my face I performed 2 WTG passes. No blood, no real issues apart from a bit of skipping when I got the angle 'wrong' but all in all it felt okay.

Then I rinsed my face. There was still LOADS of stubble left on my face, but instead of picking up the Kropp again (which I decided would have taken things too far) I picked up my Trumper DE and did a very quick WTG pass which easily removed the remaining stubble to a more acceptable level. What the Kropp alone had achieved was not what I would describe as an acceptable WTG shave.

At the moment, I get good shaves with a DE with 1xWTG and 1xXTG passes. At the moment, I can't see how this can be achieved with a straight razor.

So, I suppose that the question is, can a straight razor shave ever rival the efficiency or closeness of a DE shave?

Ian

It just sounds like your razor isn't sharp enough.

I found that even apparently "shave ready" razors needed more work for me, try the usual tests.

It can be a very effective if sharp enough. What's your stropping routine?

I've tried a few times with a straight however the "skipping" you described made me lose my bottle.

I found that there was a quite a fine line in the angle, either not wide enough or too wide.

Practice practice mate

hi ian it sounds like it might not be sharp enough take it nice and slow with it and u will master it in time it helps to stretch the skin as your shaving if you fined your hand that is doing the stretching rub your alum block in your hand your using for a better grip works great for me

From what I remember, Ian's pretty darn good at maintaining an edge so I wouldn't blame that. If the DE is working well, then my first thought is that it's the skin stretching, like Tazzbaby says.

Arrowhead said:
From what I remember, Ian's pretty darn good at maintaining an edge so I wouldn't blame that. If the DE is working well, then my first thought is that it's the skin stretching, like Tazzbaby says.

+ 1 Skin stretching was my first thought. If sharp edge, that is. It´s a steeper learning curve than DE:s though, but you can get good results pretty fast (especially if you´ve used a DE) on easy areas, use short strokes and stretch the skin. On easy areas you can even try a tinny bit of sliding motion combined with a guillotine stroke. Angels can be a bitch, you´ll get them pretty fast though, but to get good/satisfactory results takes around 20 shaves, I would say. Some less and some a little more.

I'm happy that the blade is sharp (for a straight - DE blades are sharper, I believe), and I am quite happy to be told that it is my technique. When I've stropped it, it passes the HHT easily. It could be that I'm using too low an angle, having the blade darn nearly flat on my face, but if I increase the angle by any amount, that then brings in a seeming reluctance for it cut or slide along my face.

Stretching could well be a place to look, but I do try to stretch, and even follow the blade down with my stretching hand to keep the skin taut.

Thanks for the replys so far.

Ian

It gets better as time and patience continue..I think your expectations are too high..it takes about 1 year to get your hands "well trained"..have you watched youtube videos on proper stropping and honing or sending out to a professional?..try getting a 3rd linen strop for chromium or diamond paste to keep your edge a bit sharper when need be.

Blades

Hi IanM

Reading what you have said, leads me to think that you're holding the blade too lightly. You don't want to hold it tight or too light. too tight might lead to a cut, and too light might lead to what you have said about it skipping.

I think some more practice will be needed before you get it right. It's a bit like driving a car, just do a bit at a time until you become comfortable with what you have learned.

All the best in your new hobby

Just a quick update.

I have changed the way I hold the razor, and now have 3 fingers on the blade side of the scales. This seems to have sorted out the skipping, and it feels like I have more control over the blade.

Closeness is still an issue, but Sunday's shave was the best yet, Monday's wasn't as good.

Now I am back to work, it is impossble for me to shave in the mornings. I suppose I could get out of bed earlier, but I don't want to, and besides, I suspect that Mrs.M would use the razor to remove small but important parts of my anatomy is I disturbed her! Evening shaving is an option, but with the current lack of closeness, not really acceptable. I'd need another shave by lunchtime!

So, weekends only for the moment.

Ian

Last 2 shave were better, but not closer. I doubt that I can get a better shave without going ATG, and the problem with that is that the areas that need it, under the chin and neck up to jaw have the most dense growth, and actually stop the blade. The only what that I can get it to move is to actually lift the cutting of my skin a fraction, and then it might move.

The blade is sharp enough, but I think that it's simply a case of my beard being to tough for a straight, which is the conclusion that I reached on my last 2 attempts at this.

When DE shaving, I can't use blades any less sharp than a Swede, so this seems to support my theory.

Ian

The areas that you described are the worst, and will take quite some time to master. Only you know how your hair grows. For instance, my hair under my jaw line grows from left to right. I am right handed and find that the left side feels great, but on the right side it still has some stubble and needs more attention.

I don’t know how many passes you do but I do three and sometimes four, depending on how I feel. I go wtg xtg (from mouth to ears) another xtg (from ears to mouth) and finish up atg.
Everybody’s skin and hair type are different. I don’t pull my skin that taut as it feels like cardboard (good chance of cutting yourself that way), but only to lift the hairs up so they can be cut.

PS. Remember this is an art that was passed down from father to son (which was easier for them). Most of us on here had it passes down by reading about it, or by using forums like these. Don’t despair, it will come right in the end.

IanM said:
The blade is sharp enough, but I think that it's simply a case of my beard being to tough for a straight

You don't think your'e slightly contradicting yourself there Ian?

My experience after receiving "shave ready" straight's was that they just weren't sharp enough for me. I haven't invested in finer stones, just did it with cutting films and pasted strops which is fine as I only have 3 straights.

antdad said:
IanM said:
The blade is sharp enough, but I think that it's simply a case of my beard being to tough for a straight

You don't think your'e slightly contradicting yourself there Ian?.

Umm, now that I read it back, it does seem that way. What I MEANT was...

Although the razor is shave ready, and probably sharp enough for 90% of beards, it's possibly not sharp enough for mine.

I'll admit, I did write that post in something of a strop (pun kind of intended) with frustration levels pretty high. Everyone keeps telling me to "stick at it" and "it will come", and I am grateful for the support and encouragement, but I cannot see a light at the end of the tunnel, and the sheer amount of time that I am investing in reading, watching, thinking and actually shaving with a straight is completely outweighing the quality of the result.

Maybe I need to do some extra work on the blade, but that then requires investing even more time.

I'm going to carry on trying, but I feel that I am approaching that "make or break" point again.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom