Can Burgess make the transition quickly enough?

Lots of talk about whether Bath's Rugby League recruit Sam Burgess can make the transition to Union quickly enough to make the England world cup squad in 2015. Given that he joins bath in October this year, that gives him a couple of months to impress enough to make the 6 nations squad - and if that doesn't happen, then realistically he would not make the world cup squad.

However, consider that Israel Falau's international debut (for Australia) was against the Lions having moved to union in 2013 - if you're good enough then why not?

Rucks and mauls, positional kicking etc took Jadon Robinson 2 goes the first with Bath then long teem with Sale but proved to be something special in the end.

Very different skill set especially at the breakdown. Sam Burgess is certainly an extravagantly gifted athlete with a competitive nature to match. His position of centre is the correct one, given his ability to distribute and be physical in the one on one confrontations.

I am not sure whether he will be ready for the RWC next year given that he will only have the potential of five six nations internationals and a handful of games throughout England's warm up campaigns. He could, of course, be fast tracked straight into the England set up for the Autumn Internationals this year to learn the hard way.

If Bath qualify for the European Cup competition (if it happens) that will give him a clutch of high quality, high pressure games too. If one reviews the success or otherwise of RL converts it just shows that it is a very difficult transition, especially in the central playmaking roles. I would put money on him succeeding, especially as he is still young, but whether he will make an impact in RWC 2015, I would question that. However 2019 is a different matter and I feel that Lancaster's squad will be peaking then.

Good luck to the man though.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom