Campsite Shave al fresco

So . . . all you need is:

Enamel mug of hot water

Razor (HD Rocket in original bakelite case with blade box)

Brush (old Simpson; with chrome tube carrier)

Soap (Palmolve; in the other chrome tube)

(I also had a travel mirror on fold-out stand but when I came to take the photo one of my kids had nicked it to do their make-up. I suspect it was my son, but then is going through an odd stage of cross-dressing and liking boy bands and musicals. He's seventeen.)

The looks I got as I lathered-up were fantastic; it was like being some old colonial on campaign (Boer War? Aden?). I shaved on a fold-up table outside the tent and felt like a British Army general two clicks behind the front line. Glad I had vintage English razor, brush and soap to complete the image.

P7300057.jpg

P7300055.jpg

You should clean that mug you hippie, where is the heated towel rail?

I do admire that stiff upper lip but I just cannae cope with it. I get so peeved and feel as if I am living like a refugee but I know that is part of the fun. The closet I get to camping is going to see a musical with the wife, however to show my solidarity here is my "roughing it" kit :)

IMG_1303.jpg

One day I even did without a scuttle

IMG_1298.jpg

True grit!!!

Rev-O said:
So . . . all you need is:

The looks I got as I lathered-up were fantastic; it was like being some old colonial on campaign (Boer War? Aden?). I shaved on a fold-up table outside the tent and felt like a British Army general two clicks behind the front line. Glad I had vintage English razor, brush and soap to complete the image.

All you need is style Ollie! That'll show 'em. Splendid!!

True British phlegm...I have a terrific vision of a campaigning
Padre, shaving outside a bell tent, in a 1901 Empire scene.

That's made my day.

:D

I would have loved to have driven by and seen it, I would not know whether to shout encouragement or "Hey, you missed a bit". Good stuff and it is almost the archetypal image the British on holiday from many years ago. The Simpsons Major was used when they were climbing mountains and I can see that picture in my mind.

Freezing cold, snapping the ice off the razor but "can't let the appearance slide old boy", it is spirits like that we are missing today. Rev is filling in for them. Me? I will take a nice room at the Hilton.

Rev,

You are an inspration to us all!

after seeing this post, I may even consider shaving at Reading festival in a week or so! Only problem is I've not got the 'fancy' tubes to hold the soap :(

Foiled again, looks like I'll have to be a scruffy bugger like everyone else - that said, there is an 'old school' barbers near the festival site.....I wonder...... :shave

Matt

Shaving 'in the field' for festival goers / campers / any other silly bugger who has decided to land somewhere without a sink.

Mess tin
Water, cold
Razor, disposable with cut down handle
Soap - optional

Ahh, the halcyon days of the British Empire. Almost makes me want to grow a 'tache.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCkFhafk26A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCkFhafk26A</a><!-- m -->

There is nothing quite as quintessentially British as a white enamel mug! A must have item for every travelling gentleman, in the field, and when they are actually in the feld a gentleman simply must shave daily, that is precisely how they are distinguished from the herd. *

Land of hope and glory!
:lol:

* I watched Rogue Male on DVD last night so I'm well in the groove (er, as it were).

Back
Top Bottom