Budget hone setup?

Right I've been pondering a starter set of hones and the following is what I've just about decided on inc delivered costs

£22.45 Synthetic 3k grit 7" X 2"
£11.45 Dragons Tongue Welsh Slate Hone Approx grit 6k to 8k 8" X 2"
£17.00 Chinese 12k 8" X 2"
£50.90

doesn't seem too bad

try <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.axminster.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.axminster.co.uk</a><!-- w --> they sell they king 1/6 combination stone its about £23 quid and a 4k king is about £18 never tried to jump between 1 and 6 I use only the 1K side of my king then go to a norton combination 4/8. They sell also a 1.2k on its own for about £17.

Well a change of plan after much research ....

Following Pedro083's advice I've ordered a King 1000/6000 and some Chromium Oxide powder.

I've shelved the idea of buying the Chinese 12K as all I've read suggests the Dragons Tongue is very similar and if I finish off with Chromium Oxide that should be fine.

I have some choice of how to use the Chromium Oxide though.

• A small leather paddle strop, not yet made but I have a nice piece of planed oak and a scrap of leather so its a 15 minute job.
    A denim hanging strop
    Directly applied to the DT hone as a final honing [/list:u]

I've got a tony miller 4 sided leather faced paddle strop with diamond pastes. It's nice but to tell the truth I prefer using the bit of balsa that cost me about £2 which I cut a handle into.

I attached some Balsa to that piece of oak today and put the Chromium Oxide on it. Seems to do the job and has sorted out the edge on one of my razors which I'd buggered up a bit playing around.

Back
Top Bottom