Brush measurements - retailers take note!

Among the considerations a shaving brush enthusiast should consider before buying a brush is the size of the handle and knot. So it is helpful to know the height of the handle, the width at the base of the knot, and the brush head loft. I am continually surprised by how few on line retailers provide this information.

Fido said:
I am continually surprised by how few on line retailers provide this information.

That is because they don't care, and can't be bothered measuring anything.

"who cares what size it is, just buy the thing!"

Ian

True.

Before my last brush acquisitions, I had to sit down and consult 3-4 different sites, measure my existing brushes as well, in order to have a clear picture of what is available (for my target market segment) but also on what I already had in house.

I still have that table by the way, now that I think about it...

@ FB: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/home.php?cat=210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/x ... hp?cat=210</a><!-- m -->
(not a full sketch, but good for a start and great help if you're interested in a Plisson)

N_Architect said:
@ FB: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/home.php?cat=210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/x ... hp?cat=210</a><!-- m -->
(not a full sketch, but good for a start and great help if you're interested in a Plisson)
Yeah, but head loft, which one is that?, if someone explains it to me.. I'll make the diagram for newbies :D

FB.

brushes.jpg

I need to work on it more though

A bit more about knots:

This is from the TGN site:

Measurements- Just a word on knot measurements. PLUG size generally runs about 1mm less than the description size + or - .5mm, so a 22mm knot can have a plug size of 20.5mm to 21.5mm. Knots with extra hair, will generally be a touch WIDER above the plug, do to the extra packing of hair. So using a 22mm knot with extra hair the bulge of hair above the plug may be 23mm. The height of the plug is about 8mm in general. The LOFT (of the knot) is the measurement of from the bottom of the base plug to the tips measured in mm. I wish the measurments were more exacting, but we are dealing with hand made natural hair items.

The width at the top of a new brush is not a particularly helpful measurement. As soon as it is used it will "bloom" That will vary according to the brush hair grade. A silvertip will usually bloom more than a best or pure. Two band blooms the least. Bloom is an indication of backbone or lack of!

Usually, the only information quoted about the handle is the height. Sometimes, max width or width at the base is given. There are no standards in these things.

FrenchBlade said:
nxP0g.jpg

This right? So what's the width at the top of the loft called, or does that not have a name?
Doe we also measure handle diameter, if so, where, at the bottom, or at it's widest?

Excuse my ignorance! :oops:

FB.

I don't measure the top width of the Knot as that changes due to bloom.
I always measure the base width, shoulder, and the waist.
I measure the total height of the knot eg 68mm and loft, say 50mm, which leaves 18mm hole for the knot.

regards, beejay

Fido said:
Very patriotic avatar beejay!

I was asked to make a brush for a chap who lives in Dominica and his wife is from Mozambique. It's for his father in law who lives now the Seychelles :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I told him to contact Neo :lol: :lol: :lol:

regards, beejay

N_Architect said:
brushes.jpg

I need to work on it more though

I don't mean to be soap stick in the mud Konstantinos but I have a CH2 2 band Super with a loft of 55mm and a CH3 Super with a loft of 50mm.

I get the feeling Simpson don't publish loft heights because there is a variation that is dependent on the batch of hair they happen to have in and they make their knots accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom