Brush handles, do you care?

J23

When looking for a new brush the knot quality is obviously the most important consideration I’d say.

But what about brush handles? Specifically resin. Do you care wether it’s moulded or lathe turned?

I used to turn and make my own brushes. Since we moved and I lost my workshop that's been something I'm unable to do. I spun both wood and synthetic handles and for me, I preferred the synthetic handles. Spin, polish and you're done. The nice thing was I would experiment with wood as far as shapes were concerned and when I found one that felt good and I liked I'd spin it from one of my synthetic blanks. So yeah, handle looks are important to me.
Cheers!

I have realised that my brush handles (I only have 2) are getting an absolute hammering from the bowl I use. Like if I bought some briar wood masterpiece I would have absolutely destroyed it after 1 lather. Time for a bigger bowl maybe lol

Knot is the most important part of the brush for me but good ergonomic handle is also a must. Add there a good look and you got a winner. As @huck1680 said turning synthetic materials is from the aspect of finish easier, as technique of turning wood and synthetics is different, but lately I've restored enjoyment in turning wood. To me wood gives that classic look of shaving brush and with right finishing product it can last for ages.

I used to turn and make my own brushes. Since we moved and I lost my workshop that's been something I'm unable to do. I spun both wood and synthetic handles and for me, I preferred the synthetic handles. Spin, polish and you're done. The nice thing was I would experiment with wood as far as shapes were concerned and when I found one that felt good and I liked I'd spin it from one of my synthetic blanks. So yeah, handle looks are important to me.
Cheers!
Is it hard to do, turning your own handles? In is the equipment expensive? Just curious.

Is it hard to do, turning your own handles? In is the equipment expensive? Just curious.
You need at least thousand euros worth equipment if you want to do it properly. Lathe and all the lathe accessories, chucks, gouges, spindles, carbide tools, drill bits, polishing equipment etc. Speaking buying new equipment as I don't know how much second hand would cost. Turning by itself is not a big trouble. There are a lot of videos on YouTube where the technique and the way some materials behave are explained.

It's not that hard. I do have what is known as a "mini-lathe", I just call it a small lathe though. It's not that expensive but you do want to get a decent quality one. Then you have to buy the turning chisels, again you don't want to skimp on quality because if you do, you'll spend most of your time sharpening them. Then you might want a bench grinder so you have something to sharpen the chisels with. Then of course there's the sanding and polishing materials and coating products like polyurethanes, shellac, oils etc. After that I suggest a book on using and turning which will give you great tips on how to use the lathe etc both safely and effectively.
Cheers!

Aesthetics are important to me and I have a few nice handles that have been hand turned in resin to my specs. They are expensive but nice. I'm 100% Synthectic now so tend not to want to buy more but if I did it wouldn't be hand turned, I'm happy enough to use moulded now.

Both the handle and knot are important. If I’m using a brush every day, I want it to feel right in the hand, but also need it to work well as a brush. I really like the feel of Kent brushes, but the one I have has a pure badger knot that just doesn’t feel great quality, so although I like the feel of the handle, it doesn’t get as much use as it should. I have other brushes where the knot is brilliant but the handle doesn’t that comfortable in my hand when I’m using it, and so those brushes don’t get used so much either. Get the two right, and it’s fantastic! But I find different beisheswork differently with different creams and soaps, so there is that to consider too……

After using the EJ Chatsworth handle (temporarily) I realised what my dream handle would be. I see big handles are very popular, but they're no good for me as a small-handed, face latherer.

Back
Top Bottom