Brush Decapitation.

There is a shapely new blonde in my life, and she arrived yesterday courtesy of Neocaligatio.
I would like to use the knot from my Vx 404 Mix as a donor for this handle (must stop thinking of her as she) but have no idea how to separate a brush knot from an acrylic handle without destroying the whole bloody issue. (look at that shape - is this becoming unhealthy?)
Boiling water? Whacking with a hammer? Digging out with a sharp pointy thing? - is there anyone on site who has accomplished this in the past and can advise me how to proceed?
All suggestions gratefully recieved.

You want to keep both knot AND handle intact? or just the knot. If just the knot, I would start with a hacksaw, about half an inch below the upper edge and then work you way to the knot plug with probably a belt or disc sander.

If you want to keep both intact, things get a little more complicated. This is a fairly recent brush I assume, so the knot will most likely be a preassembled job, set in the handle with some sort of epoxy resin. Depending on the type and quality of the resin, this may or may not be a feasible job. In rod building, when we need to separate glued components without destroying one or both, the first option is heat. Epoxies soften when heated. The quick-setting resins (like a 5 minute epoxy) can usually be softened enough by immersing them in boiling water, 95-100 degrees C. Heavy duty epoxies usually need higher temperatures. Problem then is a] finding a safe technique to get the temp over 100 degrees (boiling water immersion is quite safe -- for higher temps you need a controllable oven, or a high boiling, non-flammable liquid compatible with your brush), and b] making sure that other parts of the object do not start to soften or melt.

With a brush, you need to be particularly careful with the knot plug, which usually is also made from an epoxy, or similar resin. Too much heat, or too high a temperature, and not only the glue between the knot and the handle will give, but also the base of the knot itself. Slow and quick is the answer here, as in slow progress from lower to higher temperatures, and short periods of exposure to a certain temperature, followed by frequent testing of the glue joint -- like: immerse for 30 seconds in 90 degrees water, test whether you can separate knot and handle, or whether there is any give yet, if not, immerse for a longer period, retest. Keep increasing the immersion duration until you are sure that the entire brush, up to the core of the handle, has been at the set temperature. If it still doesn't yield, increase the temperature and repeat the immersion/test cycle. etc.

Henk

SP, you are eminently sensible and this is not a sensible idea.

I would invest in a knot, there are plenty to choose from and you will have your original brush, fingers and pride intact.

antdad said:
I would invest in a knot.
Regrettably no-one offers a B/B Mix knot as a separate item.
My quandary is that I am enchanted by the handle Chris made, and yet quite devoted to my Vulfix 404 Badger/Boar Mix. (VixMix?)
Another case of unrequited love?

I have removed a knot from a brush successfully, although it involved the complete destruction of the original handle. It was a surprisingly bothersome task given that I have an arsenal of machines and hand tools at my disposal, and I wouldn't much want to do it again. My suggestion therefore is that you acquire another Vulfix 404 mix and send it along with the new handle to Neo, and pay him handsomely to do the job for you (assuming he's willing). If the worst comes to the worst he could mount it on the lathe and turn away the handle to release the plug.

SP
Your handle is most definitely a 'She'. Currently watching Nigella's Xmas Kitchen (slobber! foods not bad either :oops: ) Could I be presumptive and suggest you christen that curvaceous creature in your hand after the one and only Domestic Goddess.
Could be whole range of brushes ; The Nigella, Sophia, Gina. I think you can see where my preferences lie.
All those curves and me with no brakes.

That is a fine looking handle. I don't think it is going to be easy separate knot. Perhaps you might get it out but I doubt you could do it without destroying/damaging the handle. I imagine any glue softeners may affect the knot itself so you might need to cut/smash it out.

While it is always a shame to destroy a perfectly good brush the 404 brush is not too expensive so I think it is worth a go.

It's a she.

There's remarkably strong Freudian symbols in saving: a TTO razor is both very feminine (those silo doors are undeniably labial) and very masculine (that phallic handle). The only other common object I can think of that combines the two is the guitar: curves and hole plus long straight neck.

Right, I'll get my coat and hand myself in at the Police Station. Wearing nothing but the coat.

SirPrize said:
rangers62 said:
An inspired choice. pertaining to the devine Bardot and Paige?
Precisely so - clearly you are a man who appreciates the finer things.

I would like to think so, if I am not being immodest.

They do not appear to be manufacturing them to the same standards as these ladies.

Alexandra Bastedo. Would that be the Champion brush?

rangers62 said:
I would like to think so, if I am not being immodest
Not a bit of it.
"Self-love my Lord is much less a sin than self neglecting!" (Henry V)

Good idea about the "Champion" brush - perhaps it could lead to a series such as the "Bond Girl" or "Avenger" brushes, and for those who could afford it "My ex-girlfriends" brushes.

Back
Top Bottom