Briton Shatters Record!!

I'm pretty sure drugs had something to do with this originally being considered a worthy world record category!
In totally unrelated, but absolutely true news, my brother holds the Guinness World Record for the fastest marathon dressed as a shoe (3hrs 35mins, 19 seconds!) Despite having his costume ratified by GWR, a Twitter-storm erupted as another guy attempted the same record, in the same race (London Marathon '19) and finished with a time of over four hours. He took umbrage with the nature of my bruv's costume which was way more simplistic - but fully within the spec - and kicked off on the day of the marathon! Then the Daily Mail published his tweets and responses (literally just lifted and published for an article - no contact, interviews etc.)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-fastest-marathon-dressed-shoe-FLIP-FLOP.html

The upshot is that they've now amended the category to stipulate a 3D costume - along with many of the other "fastest while dressed as" categories - and given the guy that record and retired my brother's wider scope one. He's still confirmed as the original record holder, and obviously can't be beaten as GWR will no longer ratify attempts to beat him ;)
:rolleyes: My brother's take on it? "Some people take running while in fancy dress for charity waaaay too seriously!" :ROFLMAO:

I'm pretty sure drugs had something to do with this originally being considered a worthy world record category!
In totally unrelated, but absolutely true news, my brother holds the Guinness World Record for the fastest marathon dressed as a shoe (3hrs 35mins, 19 seconds!) Despite having his costume ratified by GWR, a Twitter-storm erupted as another guy attempted the same record, in the same race (London Marathon '19) and finished with a time of over four hours. He took umbrage with the nature of my bruv's costume which was way more simplistic - but fully within the spec - and kicked off on the day of the marathon! Then the Daily Mail published his tweets and responses (literally just lifted and published for an article - no contact, interviews etc.)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-fastest-marathon-dressed-shoe-FLIP-FLOP.html

The upshot is that they've now amended the category to stipulate a 3D costume - along with many of the other "fastest while dressed as" categories - and given the guy that record and retired my brother's wider scope one. He's still confirmed as the original record holder, and obviously can't be beaten as GWR will no longer ratify attempts to beat him ;)
:rolleyes: My brother's take on it? "Some people take running while in fancy dress for charity waaaay too seriously!" :ROFLMAO:

Charlie Field
Business Development Manager

“I was really pleased with my time, I don’t think it’s too bad considering I was in fancy dress! I’m just really happy to have got the Guinness World Record,” said Charlie.

“I have a couple of kids and they’re really excited about it. But the main thing was it really raised the profile of the charity.”

The charity Charlie was running for was Endeavour, a local organisation based in Fir Vale, Sheffield that works with disadvantaged, disaffected and forgotten young people to help them take control of their futures. He is the first person to run the London Marathon for the charity.

“Endeavour is a great charity doing some really important work in Sheffield. The night before the race I exceeded my £2,500 target so it was really great to know that I had raised funds for the charity, and even more so as it was the first time Endeavour had a spot at the London Marathon,” explains Charlie.

“I think the marathon had over 400,000 applicants this year so I feel quite lucky to have been able to run and raise money for such a worthy cause.”

Charlie is no stranger to running, but it was his first time running in fancy dress. He admits that his costume - which started above his head and finished below his knees - made the busy marathon difficult to navigate at times!

Graham Booth, Corporate Engagement Manager at Endeavour, was full of praise for Charlie’s achievement.

“We are really grateful for Charlie’s support in fundraising for the charity. £2,600 is an amazing amount for one person to raise, and will go a long way towards supporting local, disadvantaged young people,” he said. “Well done Charlie and thank you for all your efforts.”

So what’s next for Charlie?

“I may try to do some ultra-marathons for charity. I’m considering a 100 miler but we’ll see. I’m worried that if I did, I might be out of action for quite some time!”

“I was really pleased with my time, I don’t think it’s too bad considering I was in fancy dress! I’m just really happy to have got the Guinness World Record,” said Charlie.

“I have a couple of kids and they’re really excited about it. But the main thing was it really raised the profile of the charity.”

The charity Charlie was running for was Endeavour, a local organisation based in Fir Vale, Sheffield that works with disadvantaged, disaffected and forgotten young people to help them take control of their futures. He is the first person to run the London Marathon for the charity.

“Endeavour is a great charity doing some really important work in Sheffield. The night before the race I exceeded my £2,500 target so it was really great to know that I had raised funds for the charity, and even more so as it was the first time Endeavour had a spot at the London Marathon,” explains Charlie.

“I think the marathon had over 400,000 applicants this year so I feel quite lucky to have been able to run and raise money for such a worthy cause.”

Charlie is no stranger to running, but it was his first time running in fancy dress. He admits that his costume - which started above his head and finished below his knees - made the busy marathon difficult to navigate at times!

Graham Booth, Corporate Engagement Manager at Endeavour, was full of praise for Charlie’s achievement.

“We are really grateful for Charlie’s support in fundraising for the charity. £2,600 is an amazing amount for one person to raise, and will go a long way towards supporting local, disadvantaged young people,” he said. “Well done Charlie and thank you for all your efforts.”

So what’s next for Charlie?

“I may try to do some ultra-marathons for charity. I’m considering a 100 miler but we’ll see. I’m worried that if I did, I might be out of action for quite some time!”

Oh yeah, I probably should have mentioned little bro's also an engineer :ROFLMAO:

Oh yeah, I probably should have mentioned little bro's also an engineer :ROFLMAO:
Too late now, the world knows him as the old flip flop guy.

CharliePic2019 (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom