bristle brushes

I know many people think highly of the Semogue boar brush and they have had a lot of rave reviews. With that in mind does anyone have any info on the Vulvix boar brushes that connaught's have in stock and how do they compare to Semogue. Please exclude the 404 as it's a mixed hair brush, thanks Adam.

There's also at least one non-mixed 404 ... I haven't used one but I have seen them online; just sayin'.

I have a Vulfix made for Shaving Shack, the Semogue 2000 and have owned/used a few Omega, and I think I prefer the Semogue and Omegas over the Vulfix personally. Then again, I haven't truly & completely broken in the Vulfix (or one of the Omegae I still own).

I have a Vulfix 404 Boar (not mix) which I got from Connaught. Its fine but I prefer the Wilkinson Sword Boar I have. I find myself inclined towards boar brushes on ethical grounds and at the moment I'm waiting on an Omega 81052 at the moment as I understand Omega Boar brushes have a good reputation.

Don't know about connaught's brushes. The brushes 514 Hyde, 405 Strand, 2234H are identical in performance. Differences being knot size and handles.
If you're a face latherer you'll be disappointed with performance. If you bowl lather and paint to and fro then the brush will work for you without doubt. Handles are ergonomic and suitable for constant use-at least for me.

You're better off acquiring an Omega-you can face or bowl lather either way. Otherwise you can get 18.5 UK sketched knot from Tony at The Golden Nib and have one of the resident custom brush makers ( Beejay, Neocaligato, and Henk hopefully I haven't excluded anyone ). The UK knot in question is densely packed. Tips are nice and by no means coarse. Like its Vulfix counterpart it's soft and scrubby. I wouldn't pre-soak it longer than 5 minutes because what you'll get is a flaccid knot.

Second and third from right are TGN UK sketched in Cocobolo in bloom:

If you're going to acquire a Semogue talk to the Boar brush "expert" Tesite since he claims to work for Smogue. My expertise or anyone's for that matter regarding Smogue is irrelevant compared to the Brush Master who designed the LE 2009.

BTW, you'll need a translator because he does not comprehend the basics of English language.

I LOVE you too,Ivan!I hope that you could spend a wonderful Christmas time with the company of your love ones and may God bless you and your family with happiness and success this coming new year (and my wishes are extended to all the TSR members).

And now, back to the original question,I only have a Vulfix 404 boar/badger mix and I find it the best that you can get for less than 12 euros.According to what Urban Hermmit,Jeltz and SIR-Ed8 have commented,I wouldn't buy a Vulfix boar brush.However If I compare the 404 mix with the Semogue1305,I think that the Vulfix would win by a small margin.

I have a couple of Vulfix boars. A VS/4 (I think) and a Piccadilly. The Piccadilly was my first proper brush, but it's much smaller than the VS.

I have used both brushes, and whilst they work well, I have found that they're not a substitute for a good badger. Of the 2, the VS worked better owing to the taller loft.

Ian

That's a lot of info so thanks for that gents, I like the sound of a custm made brush, love wood and have a good stash of french and english oak sycamore, ash and yew. Does anyone know the size of the piece of wood a turner would start off with to create a sort of standard girth handle?

zig zag said:
That's a lot of info so thanks for that gents, I like the sound of a custm made brush, love wood and have a good stash of french and english oak sycamore, ash and yew. Does anyone know the size of the piece of wood a turner would start off with to create a sort of standard girth handle?

2"x2"x3" is good to work with or 3" all round to allow for a wider handle.
On average, the handle will be about 38-40mm at its widest but with a custom, its whatever the client wants.
regards, beejay

Back
Top Bottom