Breaking in a Boar

I've received my new Omega 81052 boar from Paul (via the bay) and know that boar brushes take a while to break in.

Does anyone know if they need to dry as part of the breaking in process or would it be viable to spend an hour or so giving it a work out?

Perhaps others may (or surely) know better, but this is what I usually do anyway:

- Immersion in water with a few drops of dishwasher liquid for 20 mins
- Lather with a nice, cheap and rich shave cream (RSC, ToBS, Tet-A-Tet)
- Leave brush standing on its own for whole night, with the full lather on

Next am the brush is much much softer, smells nice and is kind of 'broken in' (but needs more, of course.)

Some people though say this is not really necessary as the brush will break in after prolonged use anyway.

Perhaps Fido or Sir-Ed8 can advise further.

Yes, you need to let it dry thoroughly to facilitate the boar hair actually "splitting ends", boar hair doesn't split readily when it's wet.

It's the wet/dry cycle that does the wanted damage literally, some even use a hair dryer to speed up the process.

Zach, wrote a whole thesis posted on DFS on the advantages of boar and how they develop.

All I'll say is that a lot of it was convincing to those who wanted to be convinced but he covers breaking in boars quite well if I recall.

The first time you use it just be sure to give the bristles a good long soak, 5-10 mins, so they're fully water logged. In my experience until a boar is broken in it seems to require this longer soak to get a serviceable lather. After a few weeks of normal use, the ends will split making the tips a lot softer and it will not require as much water. It's interesting seeing the brush develop along the way, the way they get better with use.

Thanks I suspected that drying was part of the splitting process but its good to have it confirmed.

I'll soak it for while later then use it tomorrow, but generally just let it develop over time.

Back
Top Bottom