BP

When I worked for a bank, (late 80's to mid 90's) they created a course to train the people who reconciled most of the suspense accounts in how to spot "in house" fraud. As part of it they had to educate people in what kind of fraud can be perpetrated, the net result of which was that having taught all these people how to commit fraud, incidents of fraud increased but it was now being carried out by the people who were in a position to blow the whistle on it!

moodymick said:
Dave, you didn't have a 'code 041' staff account did you?

just in case you didn't, all accounts held by staff had a marker on them (041), so their activity could be ahem.. 'monitored' for impropriety ;) :eek: :)
Very probably. I was TSB Technology Division, not branch staff, and I still had to get permission off my line manager if I wanted a loan.

cheese_dave said:
moodymick said:
Dave, you didn't have a 'code 041' staff account did you?

just in case you didn't, all accounts held by staff had a marker on them (041), so their activity could be ahem.. 'monitored' for impropriety ;) :eek: :)
Very probably. I was TSB Technology Division, not branch staff, and I still had to get permission off my line manager if I wanted a loan.

Now technology was the one thing we had over every other bank in the High Street - real time account access, not the overnight back ups the others had (whose punters could take money out of the cash machine, then go in the branch and take out the same money - classic :twisted: )

i remember all the computer stuff was based at Wythenshawe.

moodymick said:
i remember all the computer stuff was based at Wythenshawe.
The computer stuff is now all based somewhere else following the Lloyds TSB merger, but the Wythenshawe site still exists. I work there. And get this - that old real time banking system? We're still using it. The Lloyds system couldn't hack it after the merger, so they put all the Lloyds accounts onto the TBS banking system. We're just about to put all the HBoS accounts onto it following the takeover last year. And get this also - at the start of this year I took over the team that looks after the infrastructure on which that very banking system runs.

Small world!

-checks to make sure I'm not giving out any financial secrets-... nah, nothing there.

TSB probably had the most modern banking system!

When I worked for Natwest they upgraded the front end stuff but it was all still basically a 1970's Cobol system underneath. Its been over a decade and a merger since so no idea whether its still the case but it wouldn't surprise me!

Back
Top Bottom