Bow ties?

Bow ties, what doe they say about the wearer?

• Stylish individual

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • They say nothing, just another piece of neck wear.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Eccentric

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Tosser, nutter, weirdo

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
Extract from the Hardy Amies verdict on bow ties...

'Although the knotted tie has been worn by day by men so universally as to make the bow tie a slightly eccentric exception, it has never been completely abandoned. It has of course remained as a permanent part of evening wear in either black silk or white pique. By day, often in a patterned or spotted foulard, it is usually worn by individualists like Lord Boothby. On less genial characters, it can have an aggressive air and can arouse some kind of resentment at first meeting of a new acquaintance.'

Lord Boothby was a VERY colourful character (google him). As for the other kind of chap, check out William Hartnell in the film Brighton Rock (1947).

Attachments

• WilliamHartnell-BrightonRock.jpg
    WilliamHartnell-BrightonRock.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 18
I wear them now and then, all self tie. Evening dress and smart/casual/clown. My favourite is a green paisley Tootal from the 50's? jolly nice.

My Pop is another bowtie aficionado and wears them regularly which is probably where I get it from.

Says to me you may well be a suave, self assured individual, perhaps cast in the Ian Lancaster Fleming mould. Just be sure to wear your spotted tie knotted with "Churchillian looseness" to truly capture the essence of man about township.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

antdad said:
It says your at least over fifty or James Harries, poor fella/girl.

_40766130_jamesharries203300wm.jpg

You can't argue with that.

Sam.

Only if your a Gynecologist.I think that says it all.

Sam.

Oh crikey, you've got more balls / eccentricity than I'll ever have Nic.

I think it depends on the man wearing it, our own SirPrize suits them because he carries them off given his general gentlemanly demeanour and bearing, somehow he just fits that look. I think for some people a bow tie in work attire might just scream "trying too hard".

I've got one black silk ready made one for posh do's, and that's it. I'd like to say I can tie one myself, but I can't, despite being a whizz with about 5 normal tie knots. I'm a biff with bow ties and they'll never be for me.

Difficult this one. I wear a bow tie along with my kilt if I am in full dress mode. I doubt I could carry it off otherwise??
Personally I wouldn't wear one otherwise, but that's more to do with the fact I doubt I could carry it off. I once worked with a very nice man called Magnus, his everyday wear to work was a kilt, shirt and bowtie. To this day I still admire him for having the balls and he was always immaculately dressed. Bear in mind this was not the normal kilt you would see at a typical Scottish wedding. I shall try and find some similar pics.
At the end of the day wear it if you feel comfortable, sod everyone else. You may come across as eccentric or slightly mad, but I can almost guarantee most people will secretly admire you for it

[attachment=8456][attachment=8456]
Canuck said:
I think it depends on the man wearing it, our own SirPrize suits them because he carries them off given his general gentlemanly demeanour and bearing, somehow he just fits that look.

Sir, you are too kind - and yes it was a good day - must do it again sometime.

(For some reason the picture has appeared twice - no idea why)

Oh gosh, good picture Anthony, that's just reminded me, you could even "do" snuff in a dapper way. I enjoyed the trial! I could swear that Tim Wonacott must have modelled himself on you in the early days and got the mixture too rich.

Canuck said:
Oh gosh, good picture Anthony, that's just reminded me, you could even "do" snuff in a dapper way. I enjoyed the trial! I could swear that Tim Wonacott must have modelled himself on you in the early days and got the mixture too rich.

Actually I lifted the picture from Fido's shaving blog - and as for Wonacott he is a trifle OTT - but then he is a TV presenter!

SirPrize said:
Canuck said:
I think it depends on the man wearing it, our own SirPrize suits them because he carries them off given his general gentlemanly demeanour and bearing, somehow he just fits that look.

Sir, you are too kind - and yes it was a good day - must do it again sometime.

(For some reason the picture has appeared twice - no idea why)

Bow tie with a button down collar? Surely not. I think you have been deceiving people. I shall no longer believe anything you post - you imposter!

UKRob said:
Bow tie with a button down collar? Surely not. I think you have been deceiving people. I shall no longer believe anything you post - you imposter!

Oh stabbed - stabbed in the heart!:mad:
I consider both button down collars and bow ties as casual wear - and so naturally wear them in the same ensemble.

SirPrize said:
UKRob said:

Oh stabbed - stabbed in the heart!:mad:
I consider both button down collars and bow ties as casual wear - and so naturally wear them in the same ensemble.

Tomatoes and strawberries are both fruit - but not a natural combination!!:icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom