Boots Shaving Soaps..?

In Boots (Liverpool Street Station concourse) this morning and noticed they sell their own shave stick refills and bowl soap refills. If I remember correctly, the bowl pucks cost around £2.50. Anybody used these? Any good? Anyone know if they are manufactured by another firm on behalf of Boots?

Based upon what I've seen written about the Boots soap I bought 3 cakes (one in a bowl) as they are currently on the Boots 3 for 2 offer.

So far I've only smelled it - smells like their Freshwood aftershave. Will give it a blast later this week and let you know how it goes.

I find the Boots soap in a bowl and cool cologne cream quite good. Maybe not the most moisturising, but they provide decent cushioning. I quite like the 'old style' smell of the cream, though I've smelled nicer soaps. I read on one site someone compared it to those citrus cakes you find in a gents urinal :D Now I find it impossible to keep that blasted image from my mind when I use it :x Definitely worth the punt for the money though!

I have used the stick version of the soap, and it works very well. Unfortunately, the scent reminds me of somebody with body odour trying to cover it with cheap deoderant. It has a "sweaty" note to my nose.

Ian

I reckon it's a damn fine workhorse soap, and (some will disagree) equal to if not better performing than some of the fine English soaps.

I find it much easier to lather than DR Harris, and get better shaves from it, tallow or not.

The only downside is the smell - it's kind of spicy/woody which some may find smells like BO or curry. I've actually grown to like it, and the matching ASB works incredibly well too.

As an added bonus, you get a really handy little plastic tub with a lockable lid - a cheap container for your (more expensive) refills.

John

Tried the bowl soap - it was OK - a bit dry perhaps. Has been compared to L'Occitane Cade shaving soap for lather. I'd say that was a fair comparison.

I like the scent - it smells a bit like Cacharel Pour Homme which in turn smells like Taylor's Gentleman's cologne.

Spicy / Woody.

Ah Cacherel! My first experience of shaving soap with a brush about 20 years ago when I first came up to Scotland.

It came in a silver coloured square tin. Of course I had no idea how to lather so just did a very rudimentary face lather :oops:

Urban Hermit said:
... from my own personal experience, it left my face feeling dried out and itchy, and the smell was a bit too head-ache-inducingly chemical.
+1
Really wanted to like Boots stuff (for obvious reasons), but both soap and cream are more at or less at the low end of the list of stuff I've used in my two-year wetshaving journey. But at the price its worth at least a try. At least its not Wilkinson Sword blue urinal cake. :cry:

ps, Boots asb, on the hand, is an excellent product for me. The signature Cedar scent seem far more natural in the balm. The stuff itself is thick and needs to be mixed in the palm with water for optimal results. Nice glass bottle as well. ALso interested in their Bay Rum hair tonic and will buy some next time I'm ina Boots. So two thumbs up for Boots for even having a range of gents stuff.

Back
Top Bottom