Bold as Brass...

I mentioned in the acquisitions thread, that I have now received my spindles from cooncat bob in the U. S. of A.; &maybe I mentioned that they are brass and that Dave at safetyrazors.co.uk can (re-)plate them at about £15.00 for 3 spindles.

Having cleaned them up a bit more, I have come to realise once more, that I actually realy like the look and feel of brass.
  • I think it has more warmth and less bling than when plated. Is there any real reason that a brass razor and/or head needs to be plated? [/list:u]
    • If they don't need to be plated, how easy is it to strip off all the plating and leave an even, snazzy brass finish to razor & razor head?[/list:u]

The brass finish will not remain snazzy for long, you will have to clean and polish frequently or the other option is to lacquer it.

I have a "stripped" back to brass razor and it's pretty grubby.

antdad said:
The brass finish will not remain snazzy for long, you will have to clean and polish frequently or the other option is to lacquer it.

Not only that, but it will actually give off minute amounts of copper and zinc whenever used. Not that I would be worried about it, but someone might. Plus, in theory, the copper and zinc can influence the quality of the lather, although you'd probably need to prepare the lather with strong acid to get enough copper and zinc in to notice any difference.

Point is that the chrome, or more expensive, plating on brass is not just there for (initial) looks.

Thanks for the info guys, sad as it might be.

henkverhaar said:
Plus, in theory, the copper and zinc can influence the quality of the lather, although you'd probably need to prepare the lather with strong acid to get enough copper and zinc in to notice any difference.

... doesn't everyone do this?

• ... or is it just me?[/list:u][/list:u]
      :lol:

Back
Top Bottom