Boar brush break-in (Hairdryer treatment?)

I tried this once with a semogue, about a year ago maybe. You use the brush and then run a hairdryer (coolish) over the tips and they split. It split all the ends and made them quite fluffy and soft while the shafts seemed unaffected, soap pickup was much better and lathering went through the roof.

Now, that was to be expected. Everyone says that over time, with use, the ends split and the lather becomes easier, so by splitting them the brush improves quickly.

My question is, if say this treatment was the equivalent of a years worth of shaving, would you do it, as the life of the brush could be diminished? Or would you think the lather would be better so what the heck, they arent that expensive?

Does anyone else do this? Or would you advise against it?

Cheers

Just use the brush as normal and when you feel like it go through a few wet n dry cycles with a hair dryer to increase the number of hairs splitting. Premature ageing is something the Mrs worries about.

How many (separate) times do you run over the tips of the brush with a cool hairdryer, and for how long, npinn?

I've just received a semogue and wouldn't mind trying a shortcut to achieving split-ends. Ta.

(It's not as if I need the hairdryer for anything else :roll: )

I actually did it just the once. I used the brush and dried it ever so slightly with a towel. Then i gripped the brush with one hand so my thumb was at the top and used this to brush the tips as i ran the air over it. The hairdryer was on not cold but the lower warm setting. You could feel the tips splitting as you did it, and once i was happy i stopped and used it as normal.

I have done the same thing with a bunch of boars. They love it, its almost like hitting the sweet spot when stroking a dog & they get the back leg kick starter going.

No I wouldn't. For one I don't have a hair-dryer and even if I did I never would. Otherwise I'd stick to Badgers because they're 90-95% ready out-of-box and just call it a day. This is why I've myriad of brushes from Boar, Boar/Badger, Badger, Horse, Horse/Badger brushes.

Back
Top Bottom