Blue ink recommendations?

Morning Gents,

Could anyone recommend me a nice, blue, bottled ink?

I've been looking at the Diamine range, and quite liked the swatch of the WES Imperial Blue, but upon reading a review it is apparently quite a purpley blue.

What are your favourite blue inks? I have just this morning loaded my safari with Oxblood ink, which is a deep red, which looks like (you guessed it!) blood. I wiped the nib on some kitchen towel after refilling, and it looks like I've had a nosebleed or something, it's fantastic! But, as much as I like this ink, I'd also like to add a nice blue to my stash.

What could you recommend?

Thanks,

Alex

Waterman Serenity Blue (which used to be called Florida Blue) is the standard blue ink for many FP users. It flows well in all sorts of pens, is very easy to clean from converters or piston mechanisms, and is a sober, darkish blue. I've recently bought a bottle of Montblanc Royal Blue which is similar, but perhaps a more intense shade (Serenity Blue can, when used in drier pens be a bit greyish).

Thanks Chris, found a review on FPN of that ink, and it looks very nice. I can see CP's stock it too, it really is the Connaught of the FP world.

I can see a purchase coming in the near future. Any other inks I should check out, blue or not?

Thank you.

I recently bought Diamine Saphhire Blue and really like it. It actually dries a little less bright than it appears in the sample, but has a rich, deep hue. The good thing about Diamine is that you can get a small 30ml bottle without breaking the bank in case you're not 100% sure about the colour.

181190369222_1.jpg

FrankieG said:
I recently bought Diamine Saphhire Blue and really like it. It actually dries a little less bright than it appears in the sample, but has a rich, deep hue. The good thing about Diamine is that you can get a small 30ml bottle without breaking the bank in case you're not 100% sure about the colour.

181190369222_1.jpg

That's a very nice blue. I was looking at the Diamine range, and I liked that blue and also Asa Blue I think it's called.

30ml bottles are probably better for me anyway, as I don't write too much (at the minute, I'm trying to write more, to improve my handwriting and because I do quite like it) and when I do I'm normally on the move, so it's easier to carry with me if I need refilling. I worked out that a 30ml bottle was something like 37.5 refills of the Lamy converter, which is a good amount for 2 quid. I used up the Violet I had as a cartridge as I'd been wanting to test out the Oxblood, and I was too impatient to let nature take its course.

I enjoy having a nice pen and pad on me, as I'd gotten far too used to writing notes on my phone, which is handy, but come on, a traditional shaver should be writing traditionally too! Heh.

SmallBeard said:
30ml bottles are probably better for me anyway, as I don't write too much (at the minute, I'm trying to write more, to improve my handwriting and because I do quite like it) and when I do I'm normally on the move, so it's easier to carry with me if I need refilling. I worked out that a 30ml bottle was something like 37.5 refills of the Lamy converter, which is a good amount for 2 quid. I used up the Violet I had as a cartridge as I'd been wanting to test out the Oxblood, and I was too impatient to let nature take its course.

I enjoy having a nice pen and pad on me, as I'd gotten far too used to writing notes on my phone, which is handy, but come on, a traditional shaver should be writing traditionally too! Heh.

That's funny, I was actually considering using Violet in another pen to have a bit of variety. What did you think of it?

FrankieG said:
SmallBeard said:

That's funny, I was actually considering using Violet in another pen to have a bit of variety. What did you think of it?

I liked it. It's a fun ink, but seemed to 'fade' a little as it's sat. I'm no expert, and don't understand the terms really, but it seemed more vibrant when I'd laid it on the paper yesterday than it looks today. I'm not writing on any work documents, or anything like that, but if I was I'd probably go for a darker ink, but that's just me.

It seemed to flow well, but upon using the Diamine today, it's not as 'smooth' as this is. No problems with it, and it dries really quickly.

If Lamy cartridges are compatible with this pen, PM me your address and I'll send you a couple. I'm in no real position to cast an expert eye, the only thing I can say is if I liked it or not, I'm afraid. And I do like it, it's a fun ink to use. It could just seem that way (the fading) as the Oxblood is deep, and rich.

Sorry to not be of more help!

Hello Alex, may I recommend:

Montegrappa "Milano Blue"

De Atramentis "Your Gaurdian Angel" scented

Visconti "Venitian Blue"

J Herbin "Le Ocean Blue" limited edition

Charles U.K

Just thought I'd post a link to one of sbrebrown's videos where he compares blue inks in a glass dip pen. Subsequent videos cover greens, reds, browns, pinks/violets/purples and greys/blacks.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXd-zCIagGM&list=FL00y06_wuugfpGTzZ0Z_OdA&index=238[/video]

Oh dear, I seem to have been 'bit' by the FP bug.

I've already ordered and received:

30ml of Onyx Black
30ml of Aqua Blue (I ordered Asa Blue, but CP's sent the wrong ink, Asa blue has been sent out today for me)
30ml Oxblood

So far my favourite is the Oxblood, closely followed by the Onyx Black (which I'm currently using, but seems like it might be a pain to wash out of the converter, but we shall see.

On the way I have:

30ml Sapphire Blue
80ml Onyx Black (due to happiness with the small bottle)
80ml Oxblood (see above- this ink is fantastic)
30ml Chocolate Brown

All of which should arrive tomorrow (along with the Asa Blue 30ml resent today).

Coming in the next few days is:

30ml Grape
30ml Prussian Blue
30ml Denim
30ml Grey
30ml Kensington Blue

That's a lot of inks to be getting on with, a fair share of blue shades in there, too. I still have to check out the suggestions you've given me, but for cheapness and availability of the 30ml bottles, I couldn't help myself. All by Diamine, ordered through Cult Pens. I'm thinking Sapphire Blue might be my favourite just based on the images you've shown on here, and reading reviews, but I like all of these based on reviews, hence me ordering them.

The one I'm most looking forward to is grape. The Violet I used is too bright, and too 'fun', but the grape is a deeper, darker purpley colour, and I think it will be great. We shall see.

Haha :), I will keep you all updated. I need a way to speed up the testing process...

Seeing as I only have 2 pens, the obvious answer is buy more pens! Maybe at payday I'll order another. I quite like the clear Safari, or the Vista I think it's called, but basically a clear safari. Also, I like the grip section on the nexx, it looks comfortable, so that's another potential candidate. Oh dear, look what I've got myself into...

Back
Top Bottom