Bloody phishing emails

Today I updated details on Paypal as a card had expired and I was adding the replacement. This evening I receive an email stating that "The card associated your Paypal account has been reported stolen......blah....blah...." Had a WTF moment before my mind shouted that's not legit, I looked more closely at the email, realised its a phishing attempt and pure coincidence that it arrived today.

It would have been so easy for me to click its attachment, plenty do. I can't believe that I didn't spot it for what it was immediately, considering they come every so often. Thankfully I wasn't taken in for long.

Plenty of people do get caught, and that's what makes it worthwhile for these low-lifes (you have no idea how restrained I had to be when typing that) to carry on doing it.

I think you did well.

Ian

I worked in IT for a while and you'd be amazed at the number of people who get taken in. "well this thing flashed on my screen saying that I had a virus and to pay £30 to get rid of it, so I gave it my credit card number..." :shock: :roll: :twisted:

Simple rule, if you're not 100% sure, ignore it. If it's a genuine request for money, you'll know soon enough.

A lucky escape indeed and one that I never thought I would get close to!

I'm very hot on emails that are not legit, generally I spot them from a mile but the co-incidence of events on that day I had had emails confirming actions so I was kind of expecting emails from them and then a phishing one came in which caught me off guard just for a moment.

Nah it was total co-incidence the card expired months back! It wasn't even the email address that I use for paypal, it just pitched up in my unread email folder.

Back
Top Bottom